DIY tanks

Casual aquatics

Can we start a discussion on diy tank builds etc it’s no secrete this hobby can be expensive. From purchasing the fish fish foods chemicals medication and then don’t forget plants! No offense to KGTropicals but I don’t know how someone can have a tank longer than few months and not want REAL plants. Set that aside my point is tanks currently my biggest is 135 gal I have two oscars that was potentially stunted the male 11in female 9in and green terror at any rate also have some grow out my point is. I’m at the point I need At least 300gal to properly home them together when that time comes. none of them are even remotely close to being ready aside from the BPchiclid. But I don’t want to get to that point where I don’t have the time. 300gal tank is gonna cost thousands. Unless some how find deal on used. Been trying to watch king of dye on YouTube. But I want real answers from real people with real ideas so if you have built your own tank!!! Or such can you share pictures ideas links or if privy your source to a cheep tank it be much obliged thanks so much if you made to end of this I know it’s a lot to digest.

I was able to grab a bunch of scraps of acrylic from work, we had to make a bunch of partitions because of the pandemic, and they were just going to be thrown out. It's all 1/4", nothing too large but, I am going to try my hand at gluing some stuff up. I'll probably start with something like a specimen container or photo tank first to get my feet wet and then I have enough I can make a couple 24"x24"x12" 

10 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I was able to grab a bunch of scraps of acrylic from work, we had to make a bunch of partitions because of the pandemic, and they were just going to be thrown out. It's all 1/4", nothing too large but, I am going to try my hand at gluing some stuff up. I'll probably start with something like a specimen container or photo tank first to get my feet wet and then I have enough I can make a couple 24"x24"x12" 

What are you using for glue? I have acrylic and acrylic glue (the kind that kinda melts it together) and have wondered if that would be strong enough for small tanks. Superglue works great but looks like crap. 

Just now, RovingGinger said:

What are you using for glue? I have acrylic and acrylic glue (the kind that kinda melts it together) and have wondered if that would be strong enough for small tanks. Superglue works great but looks like crap. 

I am going to order some Weld-on #4 and 16 from Amazon. the #4 is thin and the 16 is a little thicker. You can get cans of it along with needle applicators for less than $20 each. I've been watching some videos on YouTube and getting ideas of how to do it. 

• Like 1

I spent $600 on half-inch glass just to make my 90-gallon. I needed custom dimensions for the space, but even if I didn't, the options around here for buying anything bigger than a 55 are pretty sparse. Petco never has the 75, regardless of whether their sale is going or not. I can get the full 75g marineland kit at petsmart, and that's it. I don't have a clue how I'd go about getting an aquarium larger than that around here. Just doesn't seem to be a market for it. Listings for used aquariums are always people selling their 30s and under for way too much, so I envy those folks who find some ancient 200-gallon tank on Craigslist, even if it needs a full reseal.

Next time, I think I'll just use a custom aquarium company and take a road trip with a u-haul.

• Like 1

Thank you so much this far for the reply’s I’m not sure if I could find two 150gal and put together for a 13ft tank lol like I I’d want it equally wide. Also not sure how to do it correctly. I peal the cocking/sealant off then will the glass just pull apart ? I herd for the initial seal you use urethane then 100% silicone dap1. And I agree Atleast in my neck of the woods there is not a lot of 300gals just out there and see people trying to sale 55 gals for 100 and you can’t reason with them 

2 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

I spent $600 on half-inch glass just to make my 90-gallon. I needed custom dimensions for the space, but even if I didn't, the options around here for buying anything bigger than a 55 are pretty sparse. Petco never has the 75, regardless of whether their sale is going or not. I can get the full 75g marineland kit at petsmart, and that's it. I don't have a clue how I'd go about getting an aquarium larger than that around here. Just doesn't seem to be a market for it. Listings for used aquariums are always people selling their 30s and under for way too much, so I envy those folks who find some ancient 200-gallon tank on Craigslist, even if it needs a full reseal.

Next time, I think I'll just use a custom aquarium company and take a road trip with a u-haul.

I’m guessing the u-haul and picking up tank yourself probably saving a grand ?

6 minutes ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

I’m guessing the u-haul and picking up tank yourself probably saving a grand ?

Probably not that much, depends on how large I guess. I know some companies have free freight shipping if you spend a certain amount (thousands). It's going to cost several hundred to ship something large. When I was sourcing my 90 gallon, I found one place where I could get the custom tank built and sent for just a hair more than I paid for the glass. I opted to do the build myself since the savings was minimal and I wanted the diy experience. 

• Thanks 1

This is my 300 it was usedi got it in a trade for two tanks total of those to tanks was a  value of 115 dollars. I resealed it's and it works fine. I've played with the idea of doing a plywood tank and much like the one Joey did. If you fallow that step by step you should be fine. If I were you I would use the 135 as a front panel and if you have the space I would just make it a square a 6 foot of so square. If you are short on time and or need something to hold the fish I would use a Rubbermaid stock tank 100 gallons for 60 bucks or a 300gallon  for 250 

10 minutes ago, Taylor Blake said:

This is my 300 it was usedi got it in a trade for two tanks total of those to tanks was a  value of 115 dollars. I resealed it's and it works fine. I've played with the idea of doing a plywood tank and much like the one Joey did. If you fallow that step by step you should be fine. If I were you I would use the 135 as a front panel and if you have the space I would just make it a square a 6 foot of so square. If you are short on time and or need something to hold the fish I would use a Rubbermaid stock tank 100 gallons for 60 bucks or a 300gallon  for 250 

Where do u typically find the Rubbermaid I considered going that rout just not sure could get one through my house door