Looking to try a Bioactive Terrarium. Beginner Advice?

laritheloud

So while my 20 long is being super stubborn, I want to get busy with designing and planting up something new! I've been eyeing amphibians and reptiles for awhile now, and I'd like to try my hand as terrestrial plants and creating a self-contained terrestrial ecosystem. The issue is, all I know about plants right now is aquatic. 🤪 So I'm getting overwhelmed with all the info out there and I don't know where to start!

To all reptile and amphibian keepers out there, if you were just starting out, what would you do:

What size enclosure would you go for? Is bigger always better like it is in aquaria, or should I start with a modest size? I was looking at exo terra 18 x 18 x 24 for dumpy tree frogs, potentially, but I'm also considering a leopard gecko, crested gecko, or a small and active skink (emerald tree, schneider's, fire). I also heard White's Dumpy Tree Frogs tend to need more space than the minimum described online, so that makes me nervous. 

Should I choose a species before an enclosure size? Because I'm having a really hard time with that one. For amphibians, I think Pacman Frogs, Tomato Frogs, and Chubby Frogs are adorable along with White's Dumpies, but I'm having a hard time gauging whether I'll love them (I mean, I probably will, I love all creatures). I know maintenance is pretty low with these species, so that's appealing as a first time vivarium keeper. For Lizards, I'm eyeing leopard geckos, crested geckos, or skinks. What species would be the best 'starter' animal for a person with two young kids (one who is about to turn 7 and really loves creepy crawly bugs and weird animals) and lots of aquariums? I'm still attempting to learn lighting requirements and temp requirements.

I'm planning on setting up the vivarium for about a month before keeping animals. I know that vivariums need to 'cycle' just like aquariums, but there's no testing I can do for it. How do you clean a bioactive vivarium? Do you just spot clean?

Thanks, everyone. Total newbie here and it's overwhelming to look at all the information out there.

Choose your pet FIRST. I can help with types and tips for most to get your ecosystem set but the conditions required for the health of the reptiles and amphibians are so crazy different nothing else that survives in one will survive in the other. Example my bearded dragon max 40 percent humidity ambient temp 80 to basking 105.( live plants failed consistently for me in his setup so I pulled the substrate and fed critters from separate colonies I set up.  High light  My tree frog ambient temp 70-72 no basking mild light ambient humidity 50-60 daily peak humidity 80%. After you decide on a pet then you decide what set up you want as that will determine the length of the tank if the plants need something slightly different. You critter will determine tank size and height are they ground dwellers or tree climbing or cave dwellers etc. hope that helps as to where to start. 

• Thanks 1

Crested gecko you will be able to do more plants and it will need a smaller floor footprint tank wise. Second leopard gecko. For activity and enjoyment start here. Frogs though I love them are not very active and most active at night. 

I love her but she mostly sits still and 50 % of the time is buried in the substrate. Crested geckos are not much more work and you can avoid the hassle of crickets. Crickets are dirty smelly and will bite your frog during brumation if you don’t get them out. I helped my niece pick out a pet and she went with the crested. If I ever get another it will be a crested. 

I’ve never had a skink so can’t help with that

• Love 1

On 1/14/2022 at 8:49 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Be sure to research about the plants you put in there, whatever they may be. All too often people plant fast/large growing plants that will quickly overwhelm most terrarium. Also, don't put any sensitive or expensive plants in there, at least at first. Animals, even little ones, really beat on plants....

Oh, I'm not planning on getting anything super expensive or fancy in terms of plants. 🤪 I just want to get a few things appropriate to the habitat. Currently leaning toward a crested gecko/leopard gecko (one of those, if a lizard) or less active but cute and grumpy tomato frogs. If I put a pothos in there I'll expect I'll need to hack it back constantly. Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

Good choice. I know I'm a bit late, but I'll echo what @Guppysnail said, definitely choose the reptile or amphibian first. A crested gecko was my entry back into reptiles after 15ish years. I went bioactive, and love the terrarium. It has been up for about 5 years now. I put an umbrella tree in, and it is to the point I need to do some major trimming. I also need to refresh the soil a bit, it's just broken down over the years. Definitely do research, and decide what you are willing to feed. I haven't had gargoyles, but I understand they tend to want insects a bit, whereas crested geckos can get by on the gecko diet alone, though will take insects. Also, is your family going to allow insects? I keep a culture of dubia roaches now for my viper geckos, but keep it tucked away so my wife doesn't have to deal with it. Just another consideration. Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions! 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 11:32 PM, ChemBob said:

Good choice. I know I'm a bit late, but I'll echo what @Guppysnail said, definitely choose the reptile or amphibian first. A crested gecko was my entry back into reptiles after 15ish years. I went bioactive, and love the terrarium. It has been up for about 5 years now. I put an umbrella tree in, and it is to the point I need to do some major trimming. I also need to refresh the soil a bit, it's just broken down over the years. Definitely do research, and decide what you are willing to feed. I haven't had gargoyles, but I understand they tend to want insects a bit, whereas crested geckos can get by on the gecko diet alone, though will take insects. Also, is your family going to allow insects? I keep a culture of dubia roaches now for my viper geckos, but keep it tucked away so my wife doesn't have to deal with it. Just another consideration. Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions! 

My family and I find the insects a draw (worms moreso than crickets). 🤣 I've heard mixed things about gargoyles, though -- some like more insects and some want nothing to do with them and eat just the crested gecko diet. We'll see what we end up with! We have time, though. I'm setting up XL Kritter Keepers as a quarantine and a nice 18 x 18 x 24 for the permanent bioactive vivarium.

• Like 2

I was just at the giant pet store and thought of you. I asked the girl about easy care beginners reptiles. I explained you were drawn to skinks but liked crested but wanted ease of frog. Here are options she showed me. I dont  have experience with these but i like options and thought you may want to see a few lesser well known options some of my pics wont load but there were several anole types as well. 

007D8ADA-F300-4285-BCB9-280BADA66D4F.jpeg

F7D54F75-7505-4237-971B-9BDB8349DC22.jpeg

FDF78711-7BD7-44D2-88DC-C65D573D1D92.jpeg

AB831C3D-29A7-4919-967E-F8EE6576C2CE.jpeg

E341A170-23DF-43A6-8B70-ABA35C3799C9.jpeg

6CCA5AC6-994B-4D7D-B8E9-DCA5CE1409CA.jpeg

76B7F09D-E39F-411F-A9A7-D389E90AE57F.jpeg

46526EE0-5DF6-4398-A33F-87B3A33F6246.jpeg

EF1E903E-AA53-4A45-A6F3-968417A6263C.jpeg

5A3EF477-FEE8-466C-8AFF-19DE2BE2B8B8.jpeg

AC337999-65C8-4EDB-9472-8BB1C7508043.jpeg

FAEF564A-1293-41EE-9B5D-749D7C06789F.jpeg

F3AEAC3C-7DCF-4486-8524-2D2C9DDF34BD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Giant Day Geckos are GORGEOUS! I quickly removed them from my list, though, because they are not handleable (they will run away and you'll never see them again). Anoles are still on my list, and I'll have to research what those other species require. I have my vivarium and some quarantine kritter keepers on the way to me now, and I'll probably dial in humidity and temp while I plant it up before getting anything. We are very excited!

• Like 1

From personal experience, a leopard gecko is very newbie friendly. They are desert animals, but I've had good results in a planted terrarium. They are very handle-able and sometimes remind me of a cat. in mannerisms. To give you a good idea of how hardy they are. When I had mine, my son and his friend let him out and lost him in the house. Two months later I found him in the closet, none the worse for wear except the fat reserves in his tail were almost gone.

Leos are really good beginner pets. I tend to stick with Crested s, Gargs, and other New Caledonia species due to not having the need for heat. They are also super handleable.

I have a few questions for you:

How large of an enclosure are you wanting to work with?

What budget are you considering for the pet itself?

Are there any feeder insects that you aren't fond of having to deal with?

Anyway, I've  been breeding Crested Geckos and active in the herper world since 2010. So if you need any recommendations for breeders or a sounding board, feel free to message me or tag me.

One of my kiddos...

242149823_1911116382400988_3616451069625595630_n.jpg

• Love 2

Forgot to add... I highly recommend watching Snake Discovery on YouTube. Ed and Emily do an excellent job educating the public and are highly entertaining. Also, there is a Reptile based education collectible card series that is starting out. You can google Creature Care Cards and check them out. Highly informative and well written. It reminds me so much of the zoo card that I had growing up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/18/2022 at 6:16 PM, WillC said:

Leos are really good beginner pets. I tend to stick with Crested s, Gargs, and other New Caledonia species due to not having the need for heat. They are also super handleable.

I have a few questions for you:

How large of an enclosure are you wanting to work with?

What budget are you considering for the pet itself?

Are there any feeder insects that you aren't fond of having to deal with?

Anyway, I've  been breeding Crested Geckos and active in the herper world since 2010. So if you need any recommendations for breeders or a sounding board, feel free to message me or tag me.

One of my kiddos...

242149823_1911116382400988_3616451069625595630_n.jpg

Such an adorable little gecko! I love this!!!

I'm starting with an 18 x 18 x 24 enclosure for one gecko, and I have some containers 5 to 10 gallon containers I can use for quarantine to observe behavior and get him/her vet-checked. The vivarium will be bioactive/planted, and quarantine will have fake plants, hides, and paper towels for a 'substrate.' I'm not sure how long I should keep a gecko in quarantine when it'll be my first. I see everything from 1 to 6 months. I'm pretty inexperienced so I was hoping to leave it at 1 month with a vet check.

For purchasing a lizard, I'm thinking about a $100-$300 pet. It doesn't need to be the fanciest colorway, but from what I'm seeing on morph market, this isn't unreasonable for some really sweet and pretty animals. Enclosure and food costs, I'll pay what I need to give them a good habitat. I'm fortunate that we're not on a tight budget, and I want to give my pets the best we can provide. I am not planning on an auto-misting system yet and will make do with a water bottle, but I also live in a pretty humid region, especially in the summertime. I did find a local hobbyist crested gecko breeder and a gargoyle gecko breeder in about 30 minutes from my home, but if you have any reputable suggestions, please DM me!

For bugs, I'd probably prefer to feed worms and larvae over crickets, but I'm flexible. My son is super fearless when it comes to bugs and he'd be happy to feed a gecko whatever bugs they need.

I've been doing a lot of research this weekend, that's for sure!