Dwarf Neon Rainbow Fish and feeding frozen brine shrimp

I've heard/read that it is not good to feed brine frozen brine shrimp to Rainbows. Is this true?

Coincidently, I've fed brine shrimp to my dwarf neon rainbows twice and the next day, one of them has difficulty swimming and passed away shortly. I've lost 2 rainbows so far. I feed brine shrimp to my community tank about once a week, alternating with a variety of dry/frozen foods.

Was this just a strange coincidence or is there a problem with brine shrimp and rainbows?  Rainbows are real pigs and seem to just gulp down food. Maybe  the shrimp get entangled in their  throats/gills?  Thanks, fishy folks!

IMG_3060.JPG

Edited by Ohio FishPlant Dude
  • Love 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:10 PM, Ohio FishPlant Dude said:

I've heard/read that it is not good to feed brine frozen brine shrimp to Rainbows. Is this true?

Coincidently, I've fed brine shrimp to my dwarf neon rainbows twice and the next day, one of them has difficulty swimming and passed away shortly. I've lost 2 rainbows so far. I feed brine shrimp to my community tank about once a week, alternating with a variety of dry/frozen foods.

Was this just a strange coincidence or is there a problem with brine shrimp and rainbows?  Rainbows are real pigs and seem to just gulp down food. Maybe  the shrimp get entangled in their  throats/gills?  Thanks, fishy folks!

IMG_3060.JPG

Don’t know about your Bows. Sorry to hear you’ve had problems. But that tank is stunning!! 

Thanks for your comments...I'm starting to believe that my dwarf rainbows just don't like my water... my water is hard, I thought rainbows like hard water. I do weekly water changes and check my nitrates.

Today, I had to remove another 'sluggish, dull-looking female rainbow who was having difficulty swimming. I placed her in my quarantine tank and she is scurrying along the bottom, with wobbly movements  and will probably die shortly! Each doomed fish always looses its iridescent  color before they die! Is there such a thing as a 'rainbow fish  disease'?

So odd because in my main tank, I have thriving cardinal/ phantom tetras, ottocinclus and other  'sensitive' fish who supposedly don't care for hard water...and my ph is near neutral! 

The pic below is my latest victim who will probably expire by tomorrow! She has trouble swimming( the water current will push her along) and wobbles along the gravel.Each sick fish seems to loose it's strength, swimming  weakly and is very easy to catch because they can't flee quickly!

IMG_3073.JPG

Edited by Ohio FishPlant Dude

Not new rainbow fish...I've had them since October and I quarantined them for 2 weeks before placing into my display tank.  All the other fish seem just fine..although I''ve noticed that all my remaining dwarf rainbows have big stomachs! They are so greedy and compete with eating all the food to the point that I worry that my cardinals don't get enough food! Do you think they could overeat and get bloated which eventually  kills them?