Baby Food

Cinnebuns

Baby brine live or frozen has more fiber than peas. Its the fiber that supposedly helps. Most fish food has as much fiber as peas. In my experience constipation in guppies comes from over feeding. Either give them a fast day or try baby brine. In my experience it works great for them. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

@Guppysnail I should add she's very pregnant and near giving birth so I assume that's contributing to the constipation. It's also why I decided not to fast her just yet. I did feed her baby brine shrimp today before your message so maybe that will help. Good info ty. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

Your welcome. The pressure on her digestive system will slow her being able to process food and eliminate waste. I cut back on food immediately prior to birth.  Im not scientific so bear with me while i relate how my exotic/aquatic vet explained it to me awhile back when i asked about peas. A lot of technical terms were used that went over my head though. True constipation in fish is apparently impossible due to how osmosis works and water continually forces its way into a fish and the fishes system through osmoregulation continually forces it out. The no poo comes from pressure on intestinal track and/or kidney liver failure. He was adamant peas were a myth because usually  folks move fish to a hospital tank to feed peas with cleaner fresher water allowing better kidney liver function and most of the peas go uneaten replicating a fasting period to allow the fishes system to catch up so to speak so it seems to work. Again this was explained to me in greater detail with lots of big technical words but the is the gist of it that i repeated to him and he said I understood. Whether this is fact or his opinion 🤷‍♀️  I hope that helps a bit more. 

edit @Odd Duck did I explain that right?

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

@Guppysnail oh right I remember reading that once in an article by a vet about constipation being impossible in fish. Ty for reminding me. Realizing it's probably due to the pregnancy helps. In gonna cut back on feeding and maybe even skip the 2nd one today. She can snack on algae and the cucumber I threw in there last night if she really wants. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, Guppysnail said:

Your welcome. The pressure on her digestive system will slow her being able to process food and eliminate waste. I cut back on food immediately prior to birth.  Im not scientific so bear with me while i relate how my exotic/aquatic vet explained it to me awhile back when i asked about peas. A lot of technical terms were used that went over my head though. True constipation in fish is apparently impossible due to how osmosis works and water continually forces its way into a fish and the fishes system through osmoregulation continually forces it out. The no poo comes from pressure on intestinal track and/or kidney liver failure. He was adamant peas were a myth because usually  folks move fish to a hospital tank to feed peas with cleaner fresher water allowing better kidney liver function and most of the peas go uneaten replicating a fasting period to allow the fishes system to catch up so to speak so it seems to work. Again this was explained to me in greater detail with lots of big technical words but the is the gist of it that i repeated to him and he said I understood. Whether this is fact or his opinion 🤷‍♀️  I hope that helps a bit more. 

edit @Odd Duck did I explain that right?

Yes.  I don’t feed green peas.  Fish digestive tracts are quite short, too, with a pretty short GI transit time, which means things usually move through pretty fast.  So if things aren’t moving through, it’s usually something else than true constipation.

• Thanks 1