Just now, Bill Smith said:

I have 12 tanks and a pond. I never sterilize. Probably should, but I haven't noticed any cross-contamination of anything.

Which is what I'm scared of too. I haven't got an outbreak but have been reusing in multiple tanks.

24 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

I have 12 tanks and a pond. I never sterilize. Probably should, but I haven't noticed any cross-contamination of anything.

Like Bill, I don't sterilize. Doesn't mean that is the right thing to do, I just don't. I have unintentionally spread hydra (and duckweed) from 1 tank to another but not disease.

I would think that doing as many as possible of the following:

- sterilization
- water changes & water quality
- preventive medication
- quarantining

...helps compensate. Fall short on one thing but do well on the others, and I bet you'll probably be all right.

For example, I do two of those things very well (meds & water changes) and none of the other two. I have success. I try to use a med trio round of one week on all my tanks a couple times a year. This probably helps a lot.

If you do poorly on water quality, for example, I would suspect that sterilization is more important.

6 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

I would think that doing as many as possible of the following:

- sterilization
- water changes & water quality
- preventive medication
- quarantining

...helps compensate. Fall short on one thing but do well on the others, and I bet you'll probably be all right.

For example, I do two of those things very well (meds & water changes) and none of the other two. I have success. I try to use a med trio round of one week on all my tanks a couple times a year. This probably helps a lot.

If you do poorly on water quality, for example, I would suspect that sterilization is more important.

Makes sense, Bill. Won't the med trio kill plants and beneficial bacteria?

Edited by Chandra

16 minutes ago, Chandra said:

Makes sense, Bill. Won't the med trio kill plants and beneficial bacteria?

I have used the trio on my main display before I started quarantining. Had no issue with my plants. Also never had any issue with any ammonia showing up so I'm assuming my biological filter was fine.  

• Like 1

As far as steralizing equipment. You could use a 10:1 solution of hot water to bleach. soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse everything is hot water and then soak in hot water with a double dose of declorinator for another 10 min rinse again amd let everything air dry. 

• Like 1

Doesn't hurt to spend a couple bucks on dedicated nets for each aquarium.  Obviously you wouldn't do this with all your equipment(don't need ten pythons for ten separate ten gallon aquariums), but for the cheap stuff it makes sense.

Whatever puts your mind at ease