Fire belly toad

BlueLineAquaticsSC

I am planning on building a small (10g tank) paludarium for a single fire-bellied toad. It would be filled with water to about half height so subtracting the land area from that I’m guessing about 2-3 gallons. I would like something to go in there with it, my first thought is cherry shrimp but it may eat those. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing and have any suggestions. I also thought maybe a dwarf Mexican crayfish or a few khuli loaches.

Hi. I dont know anything about fire bellies but i was going to do similar with me northeastern gray tree frog. The tank i had was front open tall and not enough floor footprint and i had nowhere to place a larger floor footprint tank. Here are some things that may help give you ideas. I looked into crabs but found they would pose a potential danger to my girl. I tested out an under tank adjustable reptile heater and was able to stabilize temp to 70-72.5. Which helped to increase the tank humidity and overall temp (my hubby keeps the house at 68.) The pond was a ceramic inset inside the tank so full floor pond with dual mats you may be able to keep it warmer. I trsted with top covered partially in saran wrap over the screen with the intent of cutting an acrylic lid. My tank was front open exoterra so had air flow through midway up the front. I was thinking of adding a few of my celestial pearl danio but in my two colonies i found they are to active swimming and do better in larger tanks. Anything that fits in the frogs mouth from land or fish swimming is potentially prey and again if it has claws and goes terrestrial at any point does pose a threat to a sleeping frog. That is as far as i got before I scrapped the idea because my frog moved to my bearded dragons old large tank that is not suitable for the project. Hope that helps a bit. 

We used to have a 55 gallon that had a UG filter, and built a suspended ledge ~ halfway up that was well planted for a variety of creatures over the years (toads, frogs, snakes, and a baby box turtle that was rehabilitated and returned to the spot it was found injured).

At the time, it was easy to get milk crates that fit in the tank, upside down, to support the land mass. River rock was used to cover the UGF. Net bags of expanded clay balls under the river rock provided more surface area for beneficial bacteria. 

Now, there are a wider variety of options, including terrestrial living accommodations that rest on top of a 10 gallon allowing the tank to be full, and also provide plenty of land mass.

The same rules apply regarding mouths. We intentionally grew lots of plants for fish hiding spots, and also chose to only stock fish that were safe for the terrestrial inhabitants to eat.

Frogs are pretty good at keeping livebearer population under control.