African Dwarf Frogs

cakers1985

My husband and I had some African dwarf frogs before we got married 15 years ago. I recently started a little 5 gallon for my daughter and decided to get 2 for her. We had good luck before. These two just died in a week. They seemed fine. They were eating and swimming around. This morning they were out but by the afternoon they were dead. They looked like they were shedding, which I know was normal. After reading around after they died I fear the shedding was wrong and might have been a fungus. Now I'm worried to put more in there. I don't want to scrap the tank because I have a bunch of live plants and a few endlers. Anyone else have this happen? Should I do something for the tank before adding new frogs? I've heard of a fungus called chytridiomycosis that will stay in the tank and kill any frogs added. The fish are fine by the way. The tank cycled for three weeks before we added to it. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20. Our water is really hard here. Tank hangs around 75 during the day. 72 at night. Sorry I don't have a picture.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:45 AM, Cory said:

I'm not sure I've ever actually seen Chytrid in the hobby. How are you 99% sure? I see it talked about often, but I myself selling 10k+ frogs over the years don't believe I've ever seen it. I'd suspect something else might be going on. What sy mptoms are you seeing on them?

I've heard a lot of people claim chytrid in dwarf frogs and very few actual cases. A lot of people seem to gravitate toward diagnosing it because it's a fungus that affects amphibians and has a lot of visibility compared to the more generic fuzzy white fungus that most aquarists are familiar with. Did you look at the frogs after they died? Any signs of bloating/constipation (impaction is a common killer) or red limbs (a sign of infection).

Most people on this forum recommend treating all new arrivals with the quarantine trio (maracyn, paracleanse, and ich-x) to prevent disease from entering your tank and observing the animals for 4-6 weeks before adding them to your display tanks. An alternative is adding 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 3 gallons of water, though this isn't safe for most live plants or invertebrates so is best done in a quarantine tank.

I'd suggest running the quarantine trio on your current endlers and observing for a few weeks after completing treatment to make sure the condition is stable before adding any new livestock, and then quarantining any new animals before introducing them to the endlers.

I have had my African frogs shed. It does kind of look like a fungus. I have only seen it a couple of times on them. I have had them for a few years and they have been fine. Perhaps you just got a few sick ones. Maybe try getting a few more. If everything else in your tank is fine, you probably just got some with some underlying issues. I also agree with ange above, trying running quarantine meds just to be sure.

• Like 1