Super Aggresive female red shoulder mac. Apistogramma.

FishyMike

Hello Everyone, Sorry for the intermittent posting. I got all my 10 gallon racks up and running with different types of Apisto's. I have a pair that is giving me a hard time. the female is ultra aggressive and it looks like she might kill the male. this happened about 3 weeks ago and I pulled the female and had her in a breeder box for 2 weeks then put them back together and they are back at it.. The male is not looking so hot. anyone have this issue? I got a good amount of plants and 2 or 3 huts in the tank. about an hour ago I put accouple tetras in as dither fish. but i might take them out. any ideas?

How many fishes are in the 10 gallon and what is the layout. To be honest a 10 is barely large enough for one breeding pair of mac and it needs to be scape correctly for both male and female to co-exhist. If you have other fishes in there you are begging for a disaster. These fishes can be quite territorial and a 10 does not have much territory. You can reduce the aggression if you only get males but a 10 is pretty darn small.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:38 PM, anewbie said:

How many fishes are in the 10 gallon and what is the layout. To be honest a 10 is barely large enough for one breeding pair of mac and it needs to be scape correctly for both male and female to co-exhist. If you have other fishes in there you are begging for a disaster. These fishes can be quite territorial and a 10 does not have much territory. You can reduce the aggression if you only get males but a 10 is pretty darn small.

I defiantly hear you! unfortunately that's what my rack was made with. I only have the pair and i have a couple caves one toward the back on cemter and one in the front. i have some plants mounted on caves and i also have a piece of driftwood.  im sorry i stand corrected i have the pair plus the 3 tetras which i will probably remove. 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, anewbie said:

Is there any driftwood or leaf liter where a fish can hide out of sight? Also are both fishes sexual mature ?

i did not add the catapa leaves yet but i will do that and i really do think the tank is setup okay for hiding... the male just likes to hide up at the top neat the drainage pipe.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:50 PM, anewbie said:

She might find him unsuitable or he might not be sexually mature; normally the male kills the female so it is a bit odd but you can sep them; she will flick her tail and call for him when she is ready to breed.

so i do see a ton of tail flicking just not much on his part. funny thing is the male is same size if not a tad bigger.