Filtration- hang on back and sponge?

Knew tooth is

Hello All- I'm setting up a 20 gallon tall tank and am wondering about adequate filtration. The amount of anticipated particulates would probably be mid-range, with breeding in mind. I'm thinking of a sponge filter combined with a hang-on-the-back filter. Would this combination be adequate? Alternatives? Also, what size sponge filter would be recommended? Thanks.

I think you're in good shape with that setup. BUT, others with better experience will chime in here. I had a 20 gallon long with AQ coop's medium sponge filters (2) on either side of the tank. For me, it wasn't enough. But a million different things could've been at play and maybe the sponges were fine. Most likely, my issues were due to overcrowding or too many plants inhibiting oxygen and water flow or both. Honestly though, I'm not confident in saying for sure what my problems were. I've since gotten a bigger tank with a canister filter so I've gone to a completely opposite situation of high flow with less fish and plants per gallon.

• 3 weeks later...

Chad- thanks for your response (and apologize for my belated "thanks"). I've decided to go with the hang-on-back filter solo, using an AquaClear 50 on a 20 high, with bubblers in the two, back corners to create current. I'll adjust the 50 to make sure it doesn't stir things up beyond what appears needed. We'll see.