Greetings from the Great North!

Hello from North Dakota! I'm new to the hobby, but there aren't any clubs near me so I've been looking online for a fish community. Looks like I found it! I'm currently setting up my first community 20g long, but I can't decide what to put in it. What is your favorite (preferably colorful) community fish that would work for that tank size? Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum @BettaQueen124! Picking fish is one of the fun parts of the hobby and making sure what you pick ultimately go together well and can live in the same parameters you can offer! 

Some of my personal favorites are Harlequin Rasboras, Otocinclus Catfish, Endlers, Guppies, Ember Tetras, Hillstream Loaches and Nerite snails! (Mystery snails too!)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

Hello @BettaQueen124, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you! I have had 3 different 20 gallon longs in my time. One was a school of rummynose tetras, another was a school of harlequin rasboras and another was a school of corydoras(sterbai and peppered) with red cherry shrimp. I loved them all. But endlers, guppies, neon tetras, smaller danios, ember tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, white cloud mountain minnows, cherry barbs and more could be kept in a 20g long. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome! 
You have lots of great fish to choose from. You’ll want some bottom dwellers and some mid/top level fish. I’d start with a good clean up crew. Panda Corydoras would be great. I’d also add some Otocinclus for algae control. You could the start looking at small Tetras, Rasboras or livebearers.

Hi welcome to the gang I'm pretty new here and found it to be full of helpful and knowledgeable people.   

I have found harlequin rasboras  to be easy going in both temperament and requirements. I love my cherry barbs for the activity and personality they are very friendly and chase my hand when I'm working in the tank. Corydoras of any type are fun and active at the bottom and are quite the breeders if conditions suit. 

I would suggest picking a favourite/must have fish either as centre piece fish or a must have school and then pick what fits with them. It can save disappointment down the line. 

Welcome to one of the kindest places on the Internet!  This truly is a great community.

On 1/9/2022 at 7:45 PM, BettaQueen124 said:

there aren't any clubs near me

In terms of your club access, please feel free to participate in the Minnesota Aquarium Society.  The meetings are open to the public, and held over Zoom (and likely to remain hybrid for the foreseeable future) so anyone can attend.  Indeed, we might be your nearest club.  I'll often post about upcoming meetings here, and include a link to register.  The in-person, social events might be tougher for you to attend, but if you see a fish on the auctions you can't find elsewhere, perhaps it would be worth the drive?

Regardless, welcome here to this forum, and know you are also welcome at MAS too.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Welcome @BettaQueen124! This is a wonderful place where great think tanks form and the emphasis is on support not competition. Also, the MAS meetings that @OnlyGenusCaps mentioned are unique and special. Wonderfully detailed and just amazing opportunities to see the guys in our tanks in the environments they hail from. Really surprising at times as well. Two meetings back had 10" convicts swimming with impossibly yellow swords and some cichlids we'll never see in tanks. The last meeting was focused on plecos and their environment. Some stunning plecos unlike any I've ever seen and some fascinating observations on the way they've adapted to shallow, fast waters with hydrodynamic body shapes that use the currents to help them adhere to rocks and such. I think the audience doubled or tripled in size over the last two meetings! Really great stuff, I hope you can make it. Thank you @OnlyGenusCaps for helping us access this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:44 AM, BettaQueen124 said:

I look forward to trying to get involved with MAS 😊

That's wonderful to hear!  And please do, when they inevitably ask where people are logging in from, let them know MAS is your "local" fish club.  I'm really trying to make sure we stay at least hybrid, because there are so many places around us where there simply is not the population density to have a club like MAS.  The Twin Cities is the largest metro between Chicago and Seattle.  For most of Minnesota, the large parts of the Dakotas, and even big parts of northern Iowa and northern/western Wisconsin this area is the nearest "big city", and I want to make sure we can serve the folks in those areas as best as possible moving forward. 

• Like 2

I started my community tank with as many transparent shrimp and fish as I could find. If anyone knows of a transparent snail, let me know. But transparent fish and shrimp make it easy to see problems. It is also super fun to see a ghost shrimp heart beating.

• Thanks 1