Need betta HELP

Plant-master

Hi, my Betta has been acting weird the past two days. Laying around a lot but still coming to the surface for air. Still eating fine but being very lethargic. The water parameters are 7.0 PH, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrite , 0 ammonia and the tank is 78 degrees. What should I do?? 

5C95B7D5-7C10-4D2D-A423-CD81A921F6E7.jpeg

Doesn't look like dropsy to me, but I am concerned about the tank's cycle. If you didn't put cycled filter media or a cycled sponge into the tank, your tank is not cycled, and you need to check parameters daily and do partial water changes at least every other day (daily, if needed). Right now I'd wait-and-see and judge it as stress, and bump up the frequency of your water changes.

• Like 1

@Plant-master I think what some of our fish co-horts are trying to say is that we're concerned the tank isn't properly cycled. Betta fish are exremely finicky. Old water doesn't have the good bacteria in it- the surfaces, substrate, plants, decorations and filter from her old tank would have these things. If you have any of that immediately put some in to help cycle the tank. 

Some would poo-poo this idea but things like Seachem's Stability has helped me get tanks through the new period even with cycled material. 

I would also raise the temperature to 80. Have you taken the temp from an independent thermometer? I've also learned betta's need high humidity. If you have a loose lid on this tank I would put a piece of plastic wrap over the top to keep some humidity in. What size was her old tank? 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Plant-master I think what some of our fish co-horts are trying to say is that we're concerned the tank isn't properly cycled. Betta fish are exremely finicky. Old water doesn't have the good bacteria in it- the surfaces, substrate, plants, decorations and filter from her old tank would have these things. If you have any of that immediately put some in to help cycle the tank. 

Some would poo-poo this idea but things like Seachem's Stability has helped me get tanks through the new period even with cycled material. 

I would also raise the temperature to 80. Have you taken the temp from an independent thermometer? I've also learned betta's need high humidity. If you have a loose lid on this tank I would put a piece of plastic wrap over the top to keep some humidity in. What size was her old tank? 

It was a 6 gal, now it’s a 3 gal

On 1/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, laritheloud said:

Doesn't look like dropsy to me, but I am concerned about the tank's cycle. If you didn't put cycled filter media or a cycled sponge into the tank, your tank is not cycled, and you need to check parameters daily and do partial water changes at least every other day (daily, if needed). Right now I'd wait-and-see and judge it as stress, and bump up the frequency of your water changes.

Actually I have been doing water changes or every day For the past week. But I will continue 

That's hard to say right now, as others have said she's probably stressed, so the concern is her catching something because of it with compromised immune system. The most important thing right now is to make sure her water is pristine, her stress is low (you could dim the light), the temp is good, and you keep an eye on her. No point in trying to treat anything when you don't see further symptoms and we could kinda bet on the cause of her lethargy right now being stress from the move.

You could consider adding aquarium salt as it will help reduce stress, help her produce slime coat and prevent bacterial issues. Follow the instructions on the aquarium salt container or use a half dose. 

But if you just moved her 2 days ago I wouldn't try to do too many more things as it will just add to her stress. Putting the filter in should help but you're not going to see improvement right away. Watch for further behavior changes and physical signs of illness, with bettas specifically, white spots (ick), fuzzy spots (fugus), bloating (with raised scales), constipation (make sure she's pooping), and fin rot (torn or ragged fins).

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

• 4 weeks later...

Hi it’s been awhile but I’m still have the same trouble with this betta. I have done everything you guys have recommended and am having no success. She still very lethargic, trouble swimming, slight ter in fins, she has lost a Lot of color and has just now stopped eating. I don’t know what to do. Parameters are 7.0 PH,  0 Nitrates, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. I feed Hikari vibra bites. The guys at the fish store said that they don’t what to do but to give her time, it’s been about 4 weeks and nothing has gotten better. But she is holding on for life and it’s hard to watch her like this. Is there any type of medication I can give her? 

C0632ACC-1BC0-4CD5-92CC-C773E11034AB.jpeg