Are there solid black guppies with short tails?

PineSong

I would like to have some solid black male guppies but I have sworn off the long moscow tails. Googling "black guppy" and "black guppy short tails" shows nothing that is all black but short-tailed. Just tuxedo and half black options. Just checking with those of you who know more to make sure I'm not missing a strain that's out there?

Might have to go to individual sellers to get something like that. Big flowy tails are popular so that's what sells. You could always get a few good males with the tail you like and some moscows, and breed your own line.. That's the beauty of guppies, doesn't take long to see results since they are so prolific. If you do go the "grow your own" route please post a journal or keep us posted. I'm very interested how it goes either  way.

Edited by Griznatch
spastic fingers

On 1/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, Griznatch said:

Might have to go to individual sellers to get something like that. Big flowy tails are popular so that's what sells. You could always get a few good males with the tail you like and some moscows, and breed your own line.. That's the beauty of guppies, doesn't take long to see results since they are so prolific. If you do go the "grow your own" route please post a journal or keep us posted. I'm very interested how it goes either  way.

Actual footage of Griznatch telling me it'd be okay to buy and breed more guppies:

23796837_DevilShoulder.jpg.df383337bfff9b7639a58ad7a9f82b6e.jpg

• Haha 5

On 1/8/2022 at 9:54 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

If you have the space, you could do black mollies, and there are nearly all black platies.  Not a guppy, but thought I'd toss the idea out there.

Exactly the issue: space!

I do have a black molly in my 20g tall and I love the 1970's vibe she brings to the community tank. I thought short-tailed black guppies would be an easy way to get the look with less bioload, if they existed. 

re: the black platies---I love my current platies (green lanterns and blues) and already have a wish list for my "next" colors of platies. I may add those mostly black ones to the list. I would have room for all my dream platies if only I had enough space for a few 55's, lol.

Edited by PineSong
  • Like 1