unexpected breeding behaviors from some Harlequin Rasboras

Native Keeper

Hi everyone! 

Recently I moved some Harlequin Rasboras from my quarantine tank to a 15-gallon Fluval Flex. 

The day after I did this, I noticed that one of them was upside down underneath a decoration in the tank. I originally that he was dying, but then I found a larger one come behind it and do the same thing. 

The only thing I can think of is that they're laying eggs, but don't they lay those on plants? It's also weird since they had only been in the tank for a couple of days.

So, was it breeding behaviors, or something else? If it is, then any tips you have on raising Harlequin fry would be appreciated!

I’ve never had harlequins so do not know their breeding behaviors  but had a lot of fish spawn. Often drastic changes to water signal seasonal changes and trigger spawning. Ie.. use cooler water to water change after a big storm. Moving from one tank to another even with similar parameters the mineral concentration may be different etc. could trigger. I have had many types of fish spawn immediately after being moved from the qt into the permanent tank. Hope that helps and that breeding behavior is what you are seeing. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:05 AM, HydraSlayer said:

Hi everyone! 

Recently I moved some Harlequin Rasboras from my quarantine tank to a 15-gallon Fluval Flex. 

The day after I did this, I noticed that one of them was upside down underneath a decoration in the tank. I originally that he was dying, but then I found a larger one come behind it and do the same thing. 

The only thing I can think of is that they're laying eggs, but don't they lay those on plants? It's also weird since they had only been in the tank for a couple of days.

So, was it breeding behaviors, or something else? If it is, then any tips you have on raising Harlequin fry would be appreciated!

remember the post on betta fry foods find it and that should perfectly work