Betta tail keeps getting smaller?

Reppy6583

Hey guys I need some help my Betta is slowly losing his tail in large chunks and I don’t understand what’s happening it started with smaller chunks which I assume he was ripping on rocks so I removed rocks and added ick x and maraca but I come back today and his tail is almost gone what should I do?

he’s in a 6.8 gallons all by himself besides a snail

image.jpg

Looks like and sounds like finrot.

I've had lots of troubles with finrot with my betta. Last year he develeped finrot, succesfully treated it and his tail grew back... somewhat to this day its not his regular halfmoon tail. However a few weeks ago he develeps it AGAIN and I'm back to treating it.

Finrot is a bacterial infection so medications like Maracyn, or even aquarium salt would work. I live in Canada so anti biotics aren't availabile for me. However salt is and thats how I treated his first case of finrot. However i find treating with salt can be very risky so I dont like using it. In some cases salt made my bettas (named hugo) condition worse.

I would reccemend Maracyn, you can find on the aquarium co-ops website here

However this time around I'm not using any medications to treat hugo. I've been giving him lots of rest and set his aquarium up to make him comfy. I've added tannins and lots of plants as well set his water temperture to his favorite temp (78F). He's been getting stronger day by day and I'm hoping by next week he'll be strong enough to withstand some antibiotics. 

I've had badluck with finrot, so I wish you the best of luck😁!

On 1/7/2022 at 7:13 PM, James Black said:

Looks like and sounds like finrot.

I've had lots of troubles with finrot with my betta. Last year he develeped finrot, succesfully treated it and his tail grew back... somewhat to this day its not his regular halfmoon tail. However a few weeks ago he develeps it AGAIN and I'm back to treating it.

Finrot is a bacterial infection so medications like Maracyn, or even aquarium salt would work. I live in Canada so anti biotics aren't availabile for me. However salt is and thats how I treated his first case of finrot. However i find treating with salt can be very risky so I dont like using it. In some cases salt made my bettas (named hugo) condition worse.

I would reccemend Maracyn, you can find on the aquarium co-ops website here

However this time around I'm not using any medications to treat hugo. I've been giving him lots of rest and set his aquarium up to make him comfy. I've added tannins and lots of plants as well set his water temperture to his favorite temp (78F). He's been getting stronger day by day and I'm hoping by next week he'll be strong enough to withstand some antibiotics. 

I've had badluck with finrot, so I wish you the best of luck😁!

This is a wicked detailed response and I thank you for that I will try everything listed thank you so much man!! And I wish the best for your Hugo! 🙂 

• Like 2

When the fins recede close to the body it can turn in to body in that case you need to act fast as most case of fin rot are caused by gram negative bacterial I would treat with with kanaplex in food and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone to treat the water column as it a severe case of fin rot 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Colu gave you solid information. Antibiotics that work on gram positive bacteria don't work on gram negative bacteria. 

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/infections/bacterial-infections-gram-negative-bacteria/overview-of-gram-negative-bacteria#:~:text=Gram-negative bacteria are classified,Other bacteria stain blue.

Following Colu's recommendation is the fastest way to prevent the rot from moving into the body and killing your betta.

Second part of treatment is finding the cause.

Bacteria are everywhere, and don't tend to make people or fish sick unless the individual is under too much stress and doesn't have basic needs met. So it's important to look at water quality: is it stable or are there stressful fluctuations?

Is there too much lighting, or are there not enough plants to provide cover and resting places to your betta?

Is the water temperature stable?

Is it warm enough?

Is the humidity of the air high enough to not stress the labyrinth organ? Is it warm enough to not stress the labyrinth organ?

Is the tank in a calm, quiet area of the home?

Are there almond leaves in the water (recommendation breeders have given me is 1 large leaf /gallon, see James' post for a link to the research showing IAL strengthens betta immune system), and are the tannins sufficient to what your betta needs?

Rooting for you and your betta!