Difficulty in pulling the (purchase) trigger

Gideyon

I've come to this realization that the budget option for baked clay isn't feasible.  The best thing to get (so far in my research) is Flourite Red.

It's in my cart.    I just can't click on purchase just yet.  I feel like there must be a better and cheaper alternative.  I don't know why I'm getting this way. 

It's an expensive hobby. I know. But do any of y'all have that hesitation for any product even if you know whatever it is could be worth it?   

It's like a fear of buyer's remorse.   

Non clumping unscented cat litter should work as a fill in for what you want to do. Colorwise there aren't many options, but they do exist. You can also use safe t sorb, drystall or oil dry. All of these products should work for what I think you're trying to do. Alternatively, you can also try leca, which you can find at hydroponic shops, and comes in two sizes as far as I know. There's turface, but that stuff is a pain in the butt to get ready for an aquarium. Everything I've mentioned is super affordable compared to the aquasoil stuff specifically made for aquariums. They also do the same thing basically. I involuntarily flinch at the prices of some aquarium products. Some things like powerheads make sense to me, but lights........ there are WAY cheaper options for lights. Same for things like substrates, tank decor and plants. I get that people can buy what they want but some of those prices.... oof. If you want real sticker shock though, look at saltwater stuff.....

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 2

Wierd. Admittedly I don't have very much personal experience with safe t sorb (I'm more of a cat litter/oil dry/drystall/dirt kinda guy). I have heard many good things from people who have had nothing but good things to say about safe t sorb. That being said, everyone's mileage will vary, and nothing is perfect. Take what I say with a teaspoon  of aquarium salt 😉

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine

On 1/7/2022 at 6:44 PM, BenA said:

Look at JBL products

They don't have sellers near me.   The closest one is another country. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:18 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Wierd. Admittedly I don't have very much personal experience with safe t sorb (I'm more of a cat litter/oil dry/drystall/dirt kinda guy). I have heard many good things from people who have had nothing but good things to say about safe t sorb. That being said, everyone's mileage will vary, and nothing is perfect. Take what I say with a teaspoon  of aquarium salt 😉

Do you use Special Kitty (Walmart) for cat litter?   I've seen that as the recommended one.  But I don't want to buy 40lbs.  I have that much safe t sorb sitting in storage already. I've heard that some batches of Special Kitty have smaller clay particles that break apart.  Some are bigger and keep its structure.   Similar thing could be with STS.   I just had a bad batch possibly.  

Things like Safe-T-Sorb and kitty litter (also Flourite) are relatively soft and crumbly. I've used both Safe-T-Sorb and Flourite and I've seen very little difference between the two. Neither one ever gets "clean" as you rinse it as just the movement of the gravel as you rinse it creates more fine particles. If you're a person who stirs the gravel, you'll find the same issues with Flourite as Safe-T-Sorb. It's pretty much the same stuff. Both are good substrates, but neither one tolerates rough handling very well.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 9:43 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Why do you want this particular substrate?

I need clay + laterite (or flourite red by itself) below a gravel substrate for my anoxic experiment.  But even if the experiment fails, I'll keep the build as is and it'll help with plants later on. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 6:00 PM, Gideyon said:

It's an expensive hobby. I know. But do any of y'all have that hesitation for any product even if you know whatever it is could be worth it?   

It's like a fear of buyer's remorse.   

There are SOOOO many choices and everyone has a different suggestion. It's very easy to second guess yourself and overthink it. Especially, when budget enters the picture.

I experience this ALL the time. Don't ask me how many times I've went back and forth about purchases I almost made or did make. And returned a few of them the next day.

Will

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, Gideyon said:

That's what I'm using and I'm finding it eroding into dust and dirtying up the tank

So glad it wasn't just me. Thank you. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:47 PM, Gideyon said:

I need clay + laterite (or flourite red by itself) below a gravel substrate for my anoxic experiment. 

This is what I have been using for about a decade. Eventually they do breakdown if you try to clean them too aggressively. I have found that a gentle rinse in a large collander or my silicone paint strainer (it's actually a dedicated fish tool) and then allow a few days for optimal clarity in the water, these work great.

Screenshot_20220107-201252_Chrome.jpg.36c9eb82543153615921ae5f3760f03e.jpg

I have used as a base layer that mixes with the upper substrate, and I have also used screen material (nylon or fiberglass) as an  inexpensive barrier between the hydroballs and a layer of soil.

[Tried to include a picture of the screen material, my phone is not cooperating.]

Edited by Torrey
Added the photo of the clay balls, not sure why it didn't take last night.