First Pregnant Guppy

Cinnebuns

It would make sense for guppies to need light on 2 fronts:

Like @Guppysnail said above, to promote lots of swimming activity so those muscles keep the fish [and spine] active, strong, and straight.

Second reason that I could see would be due to a generalization that may have missed the science: UVA & UVB light is a necessary part of making vit D3, which is needed to best utilize calcium. 

I am not saying that this is the case in fish, as I have not read any peer-reviewed research on the issue... for fish. We absolutely know that vit K2 is necessary for humans to generate and utilze D3, which is a necessary component for calcium absorption and utilization for healthy bones.

So from a logic standpoint, if people noticed guppies grown in outdoor tubs with strong, partial sun never develop crooked/malformed spines, yet didn't understand the UV/D3/ calcium component, it would be logical to make the assumption livebearers need strong light

Does not make the statement true, necessarily. 

I absolutely know low calcium levels in the  water will lead to deformed spines in livebearers. 

Again, I don't have any peer-reviewed research to validate either piece of logic. It may not have been tested yet, don't know 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@Guppy Guy @Taco Playz another random question. I was told yesterday that fry need a decent amount of light to prevent crooked spines. That seems odd to me. Is that true?  If so I will need to take some different steps if they go in the 5 gallon because the lights are above the hood not under it. 

That is a myth. Crooked spines are usually a result of bad genetics, not light. I haven’t tested this, but I would think that the fry prefer less light so they feel safer and not as exposed.

Note that the genetics only do that after the guppies have been inbred for a few generations. If you only inbreed a few times, or better yet, keep the stock fresh, you shouldn’t have any problems.

Edited by Guppy Guy