Hillstream Loaches with Large Fancy Goldfish

Nikki

My goldfish are quite large (up to 8.5 inches). I ordered several Reticulated Hillstream Loaches last September to go in the 150 gallon tank with the goldfish. The loaches arrived and were about .25 inches. I put them in a separate tank to grow up a bit. They are now close to an inch. Assuming I can catch them will they be ok with the goldfish now? I know that they would fit in the mouth of the goldfish, but I don't know the behavior. Will they stay out of site in the rocks and plants or will goldfish pull them off the aquarium glass and swallow them??

While goldfish certainly are not aggressive fish, they definitely try to fit everything they can into their mouths. More than likely the hillstreams would be alright as they are a fast fish. With that being said, if a goldfish can get ahold of one, it will.  I would feel more comfortable adding the hillstreams when they get larger.

• Like 1

If there is somewhere for the Hillstream Loaches to get out of the way (rocks or something that the goldfish can't get under) I think you will be fine. Goldfish are slow, I'm assuming fancies, Hillstreams are lightning fast. 

Thanks everyone. I have very large rocks I originally set in there so the hillstream's can hideout. That being said I dropped a couple of frozen brine shrimp cubes in the tank this afternoon and watched one goldfish suck one whole cube into his mouth and swim around for a couple of minutes chomping on it until it was gone- like a brine shrimp popsicle. Maybe I'll give it another month and then look at them again. I can't believe he ate the whole thing in one bite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I wanted to post a fun update to my topic from January. I added 4 of my Reticulated Hillstream Loaches to the goldfish tank about 2 weeks after my original post. I noticed they grew more quickly in the 150 gallon goldie tank than the ones I left in the 40 gallon. They look really great and they are spawning! BTW baby RHLs are super cute. Just totally made my day. You have to look closely at the pics to see them. I had trouble getting the camera to focus on them. The one under the rock has an adult right behind him. I also added a pic of another adult.

20220517_170529.jpg

20220517_154808.jpg

20220517_172334.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Cory had hillstreams in his big goldfish tank behind him in the Q&A live videos. I believe he also said his started breeding.

Congrats on the successful integration! The biggest thing with both goldfish and hillstream loaches success is dissolved oxygen levels. But i'd say if they are breeding you got that covered. 

• Like 1