Infusoria and Ziss Breeding Box

Allan B.

Can fry kept in a Ziss Breeding Box access infusoria from the rest of aquarium?

Background: I'm raising about 20 celestial pearl danio fry in my 20 gallon long. They're about 2-3 weeks old. Until now, I've hatched them in a Fluval Multi-Chamber Breeder Box, but I've just moved them to a Ziss BL-3T Breeding Box like the one sold at Aquarium Coop:ZissEZBreeder7_1024x1024@2x.jpg.e8bb681d2470f091e7f7a0739d5fef20.jpg

Out of curiosity (and this may be a dumb question), can fry housed in a Ziss box access infusoria from the main tank? If so, would that give the Ziss an advantage over a hanging breeder box?

For reference, water from the main tank is sucked into box via the channel on the left side of the Ziss box in the attached photo, before circulating out of the three mesh walls on the sides and bottom. I also plan on feeding the fry powder for another week before switching them to BBS.

I breed CPD on occasion.  I have a ziss box from coop but don’t use it for CPD. The advantage is water quality from full flow through. New hatch CPD though will slide right through the ziss mesh. For feeding I switched to sera micron from Coop for this last 3 batches.  I detest infusoria for so so many reasons and I’m lousy at making it…probably the main reason I hate it. The sera was just to easy I actually had better survival rate with sera micron I think because it did not foul the water as quickly. But to answer your question yes access but not as much. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 3:40 PM, Guppysnail said:

I detest infusoria for so so many reasons and I’m lousy at making it…probably the main reason I hate it. The sera was just to easy I actually had better survival rate with sera micron I think because it did not foul the water as quickly. But to answer your question yes access but not as much. 

I'm with you—I've had no luck culturing infusoria or paramecium in any reliable way. I've been using New Life Spectrum's fry powder, but it makes a mess when you're using a hanging box. I switched to a Ziss once the fry got to big to slip out because I felt like it could maintain better water quality, and so far it has. Fingers crossed!

Here they are in their new home (I swear there's 20 in there):IMG_0996.jpeg.65ca64e7065750346a58e2ad0185f91c.jpeg

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: CPD fry did, in fact, slip through the mesh of the Ziss breeding box—so if you’ve got CPDs that you think are large enough to be contained by this box, wait a couple more weeks to grow them out.

In other news, I have successfully cultured paramecium, so all I need now is freshly hatched fry!

• Like 1

How do you even see CPD fry? I'm hatching Corys for the first time in the ziss, and I'm not sure I've ever seen anything so tiny that was a multicellular organism. Yet I am fairly certain they cannot get out through the mesh. However that may have to do with their egg yolk sac. Hmmm. I may be in trouble.

Edited to add:

I may also need glasses. 🥸

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

What is the best breeder box for these fry? If you're using the fluval, what are you using to keep them from escaping? I have used a piece of sponge to block it but it clogged quickly and I am worried about it overflowing. If you are waiting for them to be big enough for the ziss mesh, how long does that typically take? Right now mine are in the aquarium co op specimen containers with air lines and I am doing water changes often. I have a 6 gallon that I am using for a cory grow out temporarily but I would like to keep them separate instead of throwing them all in there when they are so small.