Question about using Fluval Stratum

Okay, so I am working on this tank and am about to add fluval stratum to it on the right side which is where I will be planting. Currently you are seeing lava rock in that area and my question is this. Can I put the fluval stratum on top of this or should I remove the lava rock and put the stratum on the bottom and then cap it with the lava rock? I know that if I put the stratum on top of it it will make its way down in between the lava rock, but I'm not totally sure that's a bad thing. Wouldn't that just promote better water flow though out the substrate and prevent any anaerobic areas? The only thing I can really think of that may be an issue would be something root related like roots growing down past the stratum into the lava rock and not getting the same nutrient quantity as it would if it were on the bottom. Thanks for any insight!

tank 2.jpg

Edited by DannyC

Nice looking tank.

You may get some other opinions but if your gonna do both the stratum and the lava rock just put the stratum in top since you already have the rock down. I think your spot that it will mix over time but in the initial growth phase of the new plants they will appreciate having assess to the top layer of stratum. Also the water flow through the deeper layer is important.

By the time the roots are penetrating deeper the plants will be established enough to draw nutrients from any available source. I'm not sure my opinion is worth much but honestly you can have success doing it either way. 

Would like to see how it evolves so keep us posted. 

@Sumson @ScottieB

So I decided to remove some of the lava rock. I left like a single layer at the bottom, put the stratum on top, then capped back with another layer of lava rock. Looks basically the same as the photo I already posted so I won't post one right now. Plants should be here in a week so I will update with a picture then. Sticking to low light plants since I'm fairly new to planted tanks. I've tried planted ones before, but definitely tried to do more than I was capable of knowledge wise and was never really successful. So I'm just going to go back to the basics and build my knowledge from the bottom up!

• Like 1

I'm planning on about 20 rummynoses and a pair of Apisto Agassizii fire reds. Then probably about 6 otos for algae control. It's only a 30 long so it will probably be at its limit filtration wise. Have a fluval 206 cannister on it.

• Like 1

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/forum/8-photos-videos-journals/

This is the link to the journal section of the forum. You just start a thread like you did in the Plants section. Copy the address for this page and drop it into the message to reference it and just start blabbering on and on about your tank(s) like the rest of us!

Welcome to the forum and hope if you have any questions feel free to ask away! Have fun!

Hi I am new here and have a similar question for substrate. Setting up a shrimp and guppy planted tank. I have Fluval Stratum and also the Eco-complete that co-op recommended. Should I mix the 2 or place the Stratum on the bottom with a cap of Eco-Complete on top? Thanks for any advice.