First time trying floating plants. Any Tips?

Blaha

Hi
I just got some Brazilian Pennywort. I wanted to try it floating, but just incase that flops I also planted one.
Any tips on how to do it good? I made a little fence out of some airline tubing so it doesn't get tangled in the Lily. 
Should I/Can I trim away the long stems now or do I wait for new growth and then trim away the old growth?
Right now it's a lot of roots and stems, but I know it has to acclimate to immersed life. The end goal of the whole thing is to provide some shade to the left side of the tank for the fish and anubias.
No description available.

• Like 1

Just make sure that the plant is always in the light, and that it doesn’t drift in to the shadows. Pennywort shouldn’t need any fertilizer, but if you have any, a little bit won’t hurt. I wouldn’t make a special trip to the store for fertilizer though. Also, don’t be surprised when the leaves start changing direction. The plant will grow towards the light for maximum growth. 

Just wondering, but what kind of plant is that in the bottom right corner? The reddish one? I’ve seen them in a bunch of tanks, but don’t know what it is. I think they look really cool too!

Right now I don't need fertilizer because the fish make more than the plants can use.

Figuring out how to keep them from moving around is going to be the biggest learning curve.

The big red plant is a Tiger Lotus Bulb lily. It can grow in to be a few colors, namely red purple or green. Someone else on here that's very active (can't remember that name right now) has a few of them that are still small but are purple and amazing. Mine turned red, but the lily pads turn green after they open (I have 3 with a 4th about halfway to surfacing). What you keep seeing everywhere is either these or the Dwarf Aquarium Lily bulb which is always red, and the differences are subtle as far as I know aside from tiger lotus generally get larger. They are super easy once they get established but it took me two tries to get one to hold on and grow, and then this one split off a mini child bulb that also took so I have one that has equally large leaves but far less of them and no pads and it's in the corner behind the barrel decoration behind the big one

I've found that my floating plants REALLY don't like current. I get a lot of melt if 1) there is too much current or 2) there is not enough light. I'm specifically referring to salvinia and red root floaters, but the same should apply for other floating plants like pennywort as well. I find that I always get some melt in my salvinia around the output of my sponge filter, but it grows quickly enough around the rest of the tank to compensate for what dies off.

• Thanks 1