Odd Betta behavior

KittenFishMom

My normally busy betta has been sandwiching himself between the glass and these pH Alert and Nitrogen alert tags in my tank. He just started doing it. I don't know if it is a normal sort of thing, or if I should worry. Soory it is blurry. I will try to get a better photo. but you get the idea.

2079275600_Bettabetweenglassandsign.jpg.5e2d83ea731ef2d29d68edf0a30a12b2.jpg

I took his betta log out yesterday because it was full on snail eggs, and I'm trying to get snails in another tank.  I will put the other log in right now. (They came in a set of 2.) I shoulg have thought of that. He didn't start doing this until I took the log out.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1

I put the log in. He swam around it and went back to the plastic sign. Sigh, kids always like the box better than the toy bought for them.

Do you think the chemical in the patch in the middle of the sign will be bad for him. Here is a like to them on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Alerts-Combo-Pack-2-Monitors/dp/B004HSQSLG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3BD2XF7XSB6NN&keywords=seachem+alert+combo+aquarium+ph+%26+ammonia+detector&qid=1641419407&sprefix=aquarium+ph+aler%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1

• Like 1

@Guppysnail  he was resting between the alerts and the glass this evening, at times with his head over the senser dots.

All I have is a sponge filter with a medium low air flow. I moved the turnip in an HOB for 2 days a few days ago to impre water quality. and put it back in the big tank.

He has started swimming again, but is not his normal self. He is taking sudden sharp turns, like something is startling him.  

• Like 1

He seems to be sleeping on the almond leaf now. I'm going to head to bed soon. I will let you know how he is doing when I wake up. If the betta is better in the morning, I'll start a batch of brine shrimp eggs brewing and all the tanks can celibrate the betta's recovery on Friday.

I gave the guppies a good water change and added more scuds. 2 huge snails are hard at work.

I put an algae covered rock from the creek in with the tetras and corys.  Something the tetras could see but I could not came off the rock as it warmed up and the tetras had a major feast. The corys loved the thick slimy algea.

The bullheads are dancing up and down the glass now that almost all the lights are out.

• Like 1

My betta was on the bottom of the tank, under the heater. I passed my hand over the glass and he did not move. so I swosh some water never him. He swam to the top of the tank and swam a little and then swam onto the alomond leaf and is resting. I'm going to eat breakfast and check on him again. He is in full light on top of the leaf.

@bettta999 What do you think?

• Like 1

@bettta999I got him Dec 17th. he was the smallest betta in the store, marked down to $4.99 because he had been there a long time. It was a chain store.  You can read about him in "newbie takes the plunge" thread started Dec 17th.  He has been getting stronger and more active steadily. I checked the water 3 times yesterday and daily before that. I will check again as soon as I finish eating.

• Like 1

@bettta999 This is a sudden big change in his behavior.  I watch him a lot. Something may have happened before he started resting on the signs, or resting on the signs might have caused a problem.

I did not expect him to live when I brought him home from the store, but I felt so sorry for him laying on the bottom of the cup the entire time we were at the store.  He has become very active and busy, checking on everything all day long. 

I'm hoping that if it was something in the sign chemicals it will wear off with time and water. He is in a 10 gallon tank, with 3 small happy active cory and one flag fish, all from the same store.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1

to his preference try redoing the tank take the betta out then the sponge filter put in a buket with water so you conserve the bacteria clean all the tank put some gravel and add some plants like valisneria or amazon sword that will sure boost his hapiness and the ones of your other fish that worked with one of my bettas

clean all exept the sponge 

@bettta999 I have gravel cover with loosely stacked store at one end of the tank for the scuds. the betta normally loves to poke around the stones huntig for scuds. there is a good bunch of hornwort in the tank, some floating, some weighted with filter rings. He has his betta log and a hammock. he usually swims throughthe log often. and checks on the hammock, but does not rest there.

@bettta999 I did remove the signs yesterday, and will remodel the tank. I am following you, just giving you some back ground.

@bettta999 What is the best way to remove him from the tank? He is a crown tail. I remember you should not use a net on male bettas. I'm not sure what to use.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1

@bettta999 I have him in the white bucket with sponge filter and tank water. I will scrub the walls and vacuum the floor or the tank. and move things around. Anything else I should do?

For plants, I only have water sprite, red temple, windlov java and tons of hornwort.

Also have the turnip with the long roots into the tank, in the HOB that I used several days ago to suck the nitogen out of the water when it started 2 rise. only used it for 48 hours. Ammonia, nirtate and nitrite went to zero and I move the HOB back to the 55 tank. Hea was fine while the HOB was there and for several days afterwards.