We got our betta! And my son names him…

laritheloud

He's a very inquisitive and thoughtful guy @Patrick_G! I observed him for about an hour to see if he was okay and he's pretty relaxed. He looks at the snails like 'what the heck are you' and swims on, examining every nook and cranny of the floating plants. He might have tried to chew on a few bladder snails, but that's okay. A little reserved, but I figure once he settles more he'll show his sparkling personality.

Btw, I think it's great for him that you're in this hobby, even if it's your first betta. Many teaching moments too. 

My 5 year old learned a lot about bettas, nitrogen cycle, beneficial bacteria, filters, water tests, etc. since he was just turning 4.  We were learning together. Granted, he doesn't quite grasp everything, and he misuses terms, but I love his excitement to learn.   I also love it when he explains to his mom/my wife why I have a fish tank with no fish.   "Do you want your fish to live?!  We need to get the bacteria in there!" 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:37 PM, Gideyon said:

Btw, I think it's great for him that you're in this hobby, even if it's your first betta. Many teaching moments too. 

My 5 year old learned a lot about bettas, nitrogen cycle, beneficial bacteria, filters, water tests, etc. since he was just turning 4.  We were learning together. Granted, he doesn't quite grasp everything, and he misuses terms, but I love his excitement to learn.   I also love it when he explains to his mom/my wife why I have a fish tank with no fish.   "Do you want your fish to live?!  We need to get the bacteria in there!" 

My son has gotten incredibly into it with me! He even says he loves fish and aquatic animals best of all when he used to love bugs. His favorites are inverts and “unusual” fish, and now his betta, Moonler. He chose the plants and the decorations, and he’s a big fan of lily-type plants. It’s really nice to see him get excited about small things like baby snails with me. He’s excited to get to feed him (with supervision) every day, too!

he will be turning seven in March. He’s a smart kid, very verbal and a good reader. He understands quite a bit and likes to help pick out specific fish to take home (though I guide him toward a species or a “genre” to pick from).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Such beautiful color...and the orange, how it goes from neutral, almost brown to pretty brilliant. What a great fish.

I live in a one bedroom apartment with one 55 gal. My involvement with fish keeping must be modest, probably a couple of nanos and that's it. I'm in no hurry. I've pretty much decided on a betta. I'll have to wait for 'the one'. I'll have to name him Neo.

• Like 1

@isaly There's so much variety with bettas. I already find this little guy to be a delight!

Day 2 in the tank and he's active and exploring. He hasn't gotten the feeding routine down yet so he hasn't eaten much I've offered, but I see him picking at plants and sponges in the tank (and attempting to hunt snails) so I'm not worried. Fish sometimes take a few days to figure out a feeding routine, and he looks so healthy otherwise that I don't think it's a problem.

• Like 1

I love him so much. He already jumps to my fingers for his morning and evening pellets (3 per meal). Otherwise, he’s so incredibly chill and doesn’t really flare at anything. Loves to greet me at the glass. 

my daughter is asking for a girl fish and I’m already planning a second betta tank! God help me 🤪🤪🤪

B07F4AF7-0215-48A1-8513-36C7C802CE0A.jpeg

5ECE9720-103C-48F9-B234-DE12FDDA18EE.jpeg

0EC8D976-69A6-488F-807C-A38DC2E22F7F.jpeg

23A79443-2114-4779-8D65-1B92EEDE6B53.jpeg

• Love 2

On 1/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, Ittai said:

He is gorgeous. And I like his name. I hope to keep a beta someday soon. They are so interactive and unique. 

They really are! After resisting for awhile, I completely understand why they're so well-loved.  He's so cute and interesting to play with.

• Like 1