Help identifying cichlids

Elmer

I normally keep community type aquariums but wanted to get a start in cichlids. I got a good deal on a tank already full of cichlids. Not knowing cichlids as well I was hoping I could get some help identifying what kinds I have.  I believe there are quite a few peacocks but the others I’m unsure of. I know it’s recommend a lot not to mix species but the person I got it from said there was very few aggression issues. 

F17C8FC2-031F-436A-B903-BA80496F541C.jpeg

E7518217-725D-46AB-89E3-A1DF9A36802D.jpeg

CCB3BEB5-FF36-489B-A168-B325C5A853FE.jpeg

7636166D-B520-47E2-B1FE-0BFACC8F0F6A.jpeg

C81CFEE5-E3BD-40EF-81AE-E9C35E401C3C.jpeg

7927B5C2-91B6-4C2F-8F0B-990BFE7AE715.jpeg

• Administrators

@Elmer You have a mixture of peacocks and mbuna. Most of them look to be juvenile peacocks (and you have some females as well). When full grown, male peacocks can be 6-7". As far as specific types, the peacocks appear to be mostly OB. Hard to tell from the pics what the mbuna are.

The reason you probably don't have much aggression now is due to their younger age. As they develop, you will have a hierarchy form in the tank, and some of the fish at the bottom may get picked on.

Regardless, I would say to enjoy the tank, keep an eye on the condition of the fish, and do as much research as you can. Not to promote my own channel, but I don have dozens of videos about African cichlids on my channel.

Good luck and enjoy! 

@Zenzo @Irene thanks for your help. I will keep an eye on the aggression and add some more rocks,line of sight breaks, and be sure to get vegetable based foods in there for the mbuna. I have them in a 125 it will be exciting to watch them grow. I am subscribed to both of your channels and have watched almost all of your videos. I sure wasn’t expecting you guys to be the ones responding… pretty exciting!!

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 1/4/2022 at 11:53 AM, Elmer said:

@Zenzo @Irene thanks for your help. I will keep an eye on the aggression and add some more rocks,line of sight breaks, and be sure to get vegetable based foods in there for the mbuna. I have them in a 125 it will be exciting to watch them grow. I am subscribed to both of your channels and have watched almost all of your videos. I sure wasn’t expecting you guys to be the ones responding… pretty exciting!!

We are glad to help and are happy to know that enjoy the content that we create!