Looks like a stream of smoke

Polemos

So am am on a little over a month on my ten gallon and my wood piece has a nice layer of biofilm on it. About an hour after I did a water change I noticed this white thin line coming off the top of the wood and was running off of it like smoke and into my sponge filter. My first though is I just melted the biofilm with the water change but I want to make sure of what it could be. Here is a picture of my piece of wood but I didn't get a pic of the incident in question.20220103_140826.thumb.jpg.174eef7df7d149ed1c89daf9f4923d59.jpg20220102_134115.thumb.jpg.76a05033c1cb335181fd7715ec97259b.jpg

• Like 1

The biofilm and biome of the tank is not only on the surface of items and the substrate but also deep within - wherever water goes the organisms go with it. I think this is totally normal. I would say within the next weeks to month the white biofilm should go and either algae or a more clear film should form. If the white biofilm persists I would wonder if this wood is just not appropriate for the tank. Several people on youtube and on the forum have had trouble with certain types of wood such as grape vines but this looks more like manzanita which will definitely settle in eventually.