Growing pothos submerged?

Guppysnail

I often have leaves of my pothos sprout and grown completely submerged with parent leaves emerged. They seem to do fine. I recently had a clipping I rooted that did this but the parent leaves died and the submerged leaf is still healthy. I removed the parent leaves this morning and thought…hmmm… so I put a plant weight on the submerged grown leaf and roots and sunk it. 

Does anyone have experience growing pothos submerged completely? Pros/cons and will it even live? Thanks

8594B9F4-2CD4-46A4-BFCD-D179655F3FD4.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail

I don’t grow pothos fully submerged, though I have tried. It did ok for the first week, then algae got it and it started slowly dying.

Here is how I grow my pothos. The stem is fully submerged, but the leaves grow out of the water. It is in a 3 gallon aquaponics tank, but since  I got sick of the aquaponics part, I just threw in the pothos as well as some java moss, salvinia, and duckweed(somehow that died though.) It is lit by a led desk lamp and gets between 8 and 12 hours of light a day(depends when I remember to turn it off)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:32 AM, Guppy Guy said:

I don’t grow pothos fully submerged, though I have tried. It did ok for the first week, then algae got it and it started slowly dying.

Here is how I grow my pothos. The stem is fully submerged, but the leaves grow out of the water. It is in a 3 gallon aquaponics tank, but since  I got sick of the aquaponics part, I just threw in the pothos as well as some java moss, salvinia, and duckweed(somehow that died though.) It is lit by a led desk lamp and gets between 8 and 12 hours of light a day(depends when I remember to turn it off)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes i have it growing emerged in all my tanks as well. Its how i got thus idea

image.jpg

On 1/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, KaitieG said:

I grow a few of mine sort of half in and half out.  Submerged leaves seem to do totally fine for me too.  Haven't tried it fully submerged, but if you do, let me know how it goes.  Could be a nice cheap filler plant!  

Im going to leave it in there and work it like i do anubias so the flat of the leaves stay away from direct light so hopeit wont get algae. This leaf grew submerged on its own with the parent plant leaves dying. Im hopeful since it grew submersed it will grow. I think an underwater pothos gardem would be 😎 cool. 

• Like 3

On 1/3/2022 at 9:21 AM, Guppysnail said:

Does anyone have experience growing pothos submerged completely? Pros/cons and will it even live?

I have had pothos grow smaller leaves submerged, and have had a branching vine of pothos grow submerged, but I have never had success beyond 6 months with fully submerged plants.

There's a very good possibility that I simply didn't use enough ferts, so it will be interesting to see how this experiment goes.

🤩

• Thanks 1