Fish mascots

Gideyon

While watching a very frustrating Cowboys game, I found myself wondering why aren't there any fish mascots?   The dolphin and devil ray may be the only "fish like" ones in the big 3 American sports that I can think of off hand. 

So I got to (worthlessly) thinking... Of the household freshwater fish... Which would be cool mascots either because of their name or their behavior? 

Here's a few I could think of:

1) Bettas

2) Convicts 

3) Archers

4) Mbunas

5) Piranhas 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, Gideyon said:

While watching a very frustrating Cowboys game, I found myself wondering why aren't there any fish mascots?   The dolphin and devil ray may be the only "fish like" ones in the big 3 American sports that I can think of off hand. 

So I got to (worthlessly) thinking... Of the household freshwater fish... Which would be cool mascots either because of their name or their behavior? 

1) Bettas

2) Convicts 

3) Archers

4) Mbunas

5) Piranhas 

Piranhas being the exception, the problem with household freshwater fish is they have little or no name recognition in the population as a whole.  If you get a bigger aquarium, there are Piranha and Muskie swim teams. Alligator Gar, Snakehead and Electric Eels might be good mascots

@Tanked but do you really think the general public would know what a "packer" is or even a "laker" if it wasn't made a famous term/icon by a sports team? So if someone picked a fish and it was a popular team and even a cool mascot (I feel like people like the Raiders because of the image, it's not because they win- 😲 yes I went there!)- they would soon know what that fish is. 

....I feel like a lot of people know what Oscars are....even a Puffer....

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:41 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Tanked but do you really think the general public would know what a "packer" is or even a "laker" if it wasn't made a famous term/icon by a sports team? So if someone picked a fish and it was a popular team and even a cool mascot (I feel like people like the Raiders because of the image, it's not because they win- 😲 yes I went there!)- they would soon know what that fish is. 

....I feel like a lot of people know what Oscars are....even a Puffer....

Many of these teams were named before their fans were born. I wonder if the average Cheesehead knows that their team is named after a meatpacking company.  An avid fan might know that the Lakers originated in Minnesota.  Team origins would make a good man on the street survey.   The mascot has to be everything that the average aquarium fish is not.   Go LIMPETS!

• Haha 3

On 1/6/2022 at 9:57 AM, HH Morant said:

My apologies to the Columbus Catfish. I did not know!

The volleyball catfish mascot looks a little like an alien.

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg.75346207c942274e70585aa280f80779.jpgexternal-content.duckduckgo.jpg.c1b83b9861ae585cfc251172894240c5.jpgexternal-content.duckduckgo.jpg.ce3912c5dfcf45b4bc7171c30a982538.jpg

Carolina Cardinals could be a double entendre and allow for 2 mascots: a very red bird as well as the tetra.

• Administrators
On 1/6/2022 at 1:28 PM, CalmedByFish said:

That one looks like @Zenzo!

LOL! I see the similarity! 😆

On 1/3/2022 at 6:47 AM, Gideyon said:

1) Bettas

2) Convicts 

3) Archers

4) Mbunas

5) Piranhas 

San Jose Sharks. 

There is a rugby union team called The Harlequins sadly they use the Italian clown as a mascot rather than the fish.

Morecambe football club  nicknamed the shrimps.

Fleetwood football club -the cod army

Also a rugby union club called The Rams  sadly their mascot choice is not what I hoped.

I suppose a big cause for the lack of fish representation in sports names is the fact that not many towns where built on a fresh fish industry. But fans can certainly get things moving on team names so people of Florida start refering to your team's as "the guppy farmers" write some catchy chants and make the change.

Edited by Flumpweesel
Additional comment