Cryptocoryne Long Term Tank Journal

I wanted to try documenting my 4ft, mainly Cryptocoryne aquarium here. This is going to be my first time trying a long term tank. This simply in my opinion just means to keep the tank going as it is without rescaping or resetting it for many years. No big changes to the tank basically. I hope to have the tank running at least 10 years, more if possible!

Tank Set Up Date: September 30, 2021

Tank Dimensions: 48x18x18in

Light: 2x Kotobuki Flat Led for 8hrs (basically the same as Finnex Stingrays)

Filter: Eheim 2217 Canister with Substrat Pro - No sponges

Co2: Neo Acrylic diffuser for 8hrs

Substrate System: 3x 2Litre bags of Marfied Trophical Base. 2-3in of Ooiso Gravel.

Current Plant List

Crinum calamistratum

Nymphaea micrantha

Cryptocoryne wendtii brown

Cryptocoryne wendtii mi oya

Cryptocoryne wendtii green gecko

Cryptocoryne wendtii kompakt

Cryptocoryne bekettii petchii 

Cryptocoryne lucens

Cryptocoryne crispatula balansae

Cryptocoryne bullosa

Cryptocoryne spiralis tiger

and I think that’s all I have in there for now 😅 lots of crypts.. Hoping to add a few more plants as I go. And yes! This post is made 3 months after I set the tank up so I’ll slowly add and look for pictures that I took and upload them until we reach the present day.

Let me know what you think, if there’s certain plants you’d add, or changes you’d make 🙂 oh and the fish going in would most likely be rainbows. This tank was hugely inspired after seeing @Cory’s tour of Gary Lange’s Fish Room. 

0BA75953-6C0E-4075-9512-560FAB61BE2E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 month (October 30,2021)

This is the tank after 1 month. Some of the crypts melted which is expected. They’ll grow back with submersed leaves.

I bought some Java Ferns (1x windelov, 1x philippine) and currently just storing them in this tank. Also planted in a crypt called Cryptocoryne sp. indonesia (denerle C350). I haven’t seen much information about this plant online but just thought it would be fun to try it out. Also added some floating plants to help lessen algae.

FBFDD476-B778-4746-B2DC-6C08691CD58D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Some crypts you might want to try if you want to add a bit of colour include:

crypt spirialis red

crypt jacobensii pink (i really like this one)

crypt flamingo (it is ok)

crypt pa hang

crypt nurii rosen maiden

crypt nurri pahang mutated

crypt green gecko (just green but i really like this one)

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, anewbie said:

Some crypts you might want to try if you want to add a bit of colour include:

crypt spirialis red

crypt jacobensii pink (i really like this one)

crypt flamingo (it is ok)

crypt pa hang

crypt nurii rosen maiden

crypt nurri pahang mutated

crypt green gecko (just green but i really like this one)

I’ve got crypt spiralis tiger and recently just added spiralis red from AGW. 
I’ve got the crypt green gecko thats green with a brownish/pinkish center. I really like this version and hope to propagate the 1 that I’ve currently got. 

Also just bought a tissue culture crypt nurii but I’m not sure which variant it is.. Flamingo is something I’m thinking about but not sure if I’d want to add the color pink into this tank 🙂

1.5 months (November 15, 2021)

I took a trip to Tokyo and toured some fish stores. Brought back a bunch of plants (crypts, anubias, and lotus’s).

I don’t intend to plant everything in this tank but until I get my other tanks up and running, these plants will be stored in this 4 footer.

1B90BF2B-2E54-4014-9300-2296046CB633.jpeg

5F3C79BC-0164-4DF3-B18B-FF22302F4CAB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 1/7/2022 at 6:01 AM, Ryo Watanabe said:

I’ve got the crypt green gecko thats green with a brownish/pinkish center. I really like this version and hope to propagate the 1 that I’ve currently got. 

Also just bought a tissue culture crypt nurii but I’m not sure which variant it is.. Flamingo is something I’m thinking about but not sure if I’d want to add the color pink into this tank 🙂

What is AGW ? The green grecko i have is pure green through out the plant.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:01 AM, Ryo Watanabe said:

I have crypt flamingo; mix about the plant - with co2 and high light mine is nearly pure pink - it is more of an oddity plant than a pretty plant. I'm really happy with the Jacobensii pink crypt look and it recently sent out a few new plants after 6 months so slow spreader but still happy.

What does crypt spiralis tiger look like ? Yea I found several places selling nurii without indicating what type and there seems to be a huge variance.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:49 PM, anewbie said:

I have crypt flamingo; mix about the plant - with co2 and high light mine is nearly pure pink - it is more of an oddity plant than a pretty plant. I'm really happy with the Jacobensii pink crypt look and it recently sent out a few new plants after 6 months so slow spreader but still happy.

What does crypt spiralis tiger look like ? Yea I found several places selling nurii without indicating what type and there seems to be a huge variance.

AGW is an aquarium company in Japan. They temporarily stopped selling aquatic plants. I try to keep specific labels of my plants so I know where they come from. 
Spiralis Tiger basically looks liks spiralis red with black stripes. I’ll try to get better photos of the two in the future. 
But here’s a quick shot I took of my spiralis tiger.

And yes, I hope I can grow this nurii out and try to specifically identify it. It’s currently still in the cup and was a bargain costing only $8

21300CA0-E181-4F1B-9600-C59D53E1C862.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, Ryo Watanabe said:

AGW is an aquarium company in Japan. They temporarily stopped selling aquatic plants. I try to keep specific labels of my plants so I know where they come from. 
Spiralis Tiger basically looks liks spiralis red with black stripes. I’ll try to get better photos of the two in the future. 
But here’s a quick shot I took of my spiralis tiger.

And yes, I hope I can grow this nurii out and try to specifically identify it. It’s currently still in the cup and was a bargain costing only $8

21300CA0-E181-4F1B-9600-C59D53E1C862.jpeg

I'm jealous of all the variety you can get! I can order in some cool plants online (I might be able to find some/most of the morphs you're showing if I searched around long enough, but I don't know), but locally I can't find much. I'm very limited in selection in the walk-in stores here.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 12:24 AM, Chris said:

I'm jealous of all the variety you can get! I can order in some cool plants online (I might be able to find some/most of the morphs you're showing if I searched around long enough, but I don't know), but locally I can't find much. I'm very limited in selection in the walk-in stores here.

Most of the rarer plants I recently put my hands on, I took a 250mile train ride to get. I discovered the store Aquafield Asakusa in Tokyo from searching online and they had some cool plants and fish. Locally, around my hometown theres not many aquarium stores. I have to drive at least 35mins to get to a nice aquascaping store. The other somewhat decent stores are further 😅

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Chris said:

In USA they are very hard to find; I have a couple from individual but virtually no shop sells them. Japan market is a lot nicer (not just for plants but for less common apistogramma).

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2022 at 1:44 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Ryo Watanabeid skip the pink flamingo and see if you can get Florida Sunset or as @anewbiestated Jacobsonii which is way better in my opinion as well. You’ll be happy with that spiralis red tiger. Such a cool plant! I’ve never been disappointed with a nurii type. It’ll be fun to see what you’ve got! 

Florida Sunset crypt is one of my all time favorites. It’s the first type of crypt I ever heard about when I watched Steenfott aquatics many years ago. Ive seen Florida sunset on Japanese aquatic plant magazines but haven’t seen it available yet. Would buy it if I could.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:01 PM, Ryo Watanabe said:

Florida Sunset crypt is one of my all time favorites. It’s the first type of crypt I ever heard about when I watched Steenfott aquatics many years ago. Ive seen Florida sunset on Japanese aquatic plant magazines but haven’t seen it available yet. Would buy it if I could.

Treat this as a rumour but my understanding is the place that 'created' this hybrid no longer sells it because people had problems with it regressing over a period of time (this refers to florida sunset crypt). None the less as far as I can tell no one sells it and it is no longer sold anywhere.

-

I'm mixed on flamingo. In my high-tech tank it is growing fairly well - the leaves are pure pink but smallish. In the low tech tank it seems to not being doing well and fading away. I have red and tiger spiralis (strongly prefer red); but this plant has a completely different look not only in colouring but leaf shape. It seems that several sites are selling a plant as nurii rosen (er i mean several different plants with the same name) and from the right vendor this plant is quite appealing. My Jacobsonii is growing quite vigorously and is producing enormous number of small plants - to the point that it has begin to overwhelm my limited space. Still it is a nice looking plant.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

1 year 9 months (June 1, 2023)

I missed posting on this forum the whole of 2023 but during this year, I moved the crypt tank from my fish room to my video editing room. 

I’m really liking how this tank is turning out. Low maintenance, easy to care for and quite pleasing to watch every night. There’s still some open space for planting and some areas where I’m waiting for the current crypts to grow in.

Excuse me for being in the picture, I took this for a YouTube video thumbnail. I will try to upload more images this year and show you the progress of my long term tank.

thumbnail2.jpeg

Edited by Ryo Watanabe
  • Like 3
  • Love 1