Backgrounds Yay or Nay?

Skepticarcher

My bettas seem to hate having a backgrounds on  their tanks. I’ve tried solid black and one with an image printed on it and both made them flare like crazy. They seem to be able to see their reflection no matter what, but the background made it 10 times worse. I have a 10 and a 5 gallon each with a betta. Anyone else experience this? Or do you have thoughts on backgrounds in general?

Edited by Skepticarcher
  • Like 1

Maybe one of those 3d backgrounds? BUT it's your tank, nobody says you have to have a background. If there is a reason not too, and it sounds like there is, skip it.

I'm like ADMWNDSR83, no bettas and a black background.

I really want to get one of those universal stone backgrounds, but I can't justify the cost... yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skepticarcher said:

My bettas seem to hate having a backgrounds on  their tanks. I’ve tried solid black and one with an image printed on it and both made them flare like crazy. They seem to be able to see their reflection no matter what, but the background made it 10 times worse. I have a 10 and a 5 gallon each with a betta. Anyone else experience this? Or do you have thoughts on backgrounds in general?

How long have you had them? Mine did it for a bit till they got all settled in. Some flaring is good exercise. 

I think, Irene from Girl talks fish, recommends the black matte background. 

Eventually I just got more plants and they have to go around plants in order to see their reflection (somewhat heavily planted tank) because I didn't seem to have any luck with various things I tried (with the exception of plants). 

I put Anubias in a suction cup look and stuck it on the wall of the tank. It solves a few issues. It gives a resting spot on the leaves towards the top of the tank and gives me somewhere to drop food and be able to *fish* it back out when they're done eating. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 6:15 PM, fatblonde said:

How long have you had them? Mine did it for a bit till they got all settled in. Some flaring is good exercise. 

I think, Irene from Girl talks fish, recommends the black matte background. 

Eventually I just got more plants and they have to go around plants in order to see their reflection (somewhat heavily planted tank) because I didn't seem to have any luck with various things I tried (with the exception of plants). 

I put Anubias in a suction cup look and stuck it on the wall of the tank. It solves a few issues. It gives a resting spot on the leaves towards the top of the tank and gives me somewhere to drop food and be able to *fish* it back out when they're done eating. 

Thank you I appreciate the feedback. I have had one of my Bettas for 6 months and the other less than a week. My 10 gallon is definitely in need of more plants so I think I will try that route first, get it filled in and then try a matte black background. Thank you again I appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, AdamScott said:

I've heard this has a tendency to peel off. Have you experienced anything like that?

No. I’ve only done it to one tank though. I set it up about 6 months ago. So far so good. 

I would/did do several coats. I could see it happening after years of use but I love the look and wouldn’t change it for anything.

• Like 2