What fish should I get?

mrsjoannh13

On 1/3/2022 at 2:05 PM, CalmedByFish said:

It should be that gill flukes are visible, right? So I wouldn't need to medicate as a prophylactic? 

You would think.... 🤷‍♀️ All i know is anecdotally there's Some Guy that insists that many rounds of gill fluke treatment increases longevity for Dwarf Gouramis. There's only so much stock I can put into one guy's ideas without rigorous testing to back it up. For what it's worth, I think you're best of just making sure the tank is nicely seasoned and the water is pristine, but we all already know that, I think! 😉 

I will absolutely warn you, though, that in most LFSs, when I look into the dwarf gourami tanks, up to half of them are clearly showing signs of illness. It's rough, rough, rough. I try to avoid buying any fish in the tanks with the dwarf gouramis for that reason (my LFS uses sponge filters for a stretch of tanks and it's and not a fully connected system).

On 1/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, laritheloud said:

For what it's worth, I think you're best of just making sure the tank is nicely seasoned and the water is pristine, but we all already know that, I think! 😉 

I will absolutely warn you, though, that in most LFSs, when I look into the dwarf gourami tanks, up to half of them are clearly showing signs of illness. It's rough, rough, rough.

Thanks for this info. Based on emails I've gotten, my Powder Blue Dude should arrive Tuesday. He'll go into QT alone for at least a month. Thanks to this thread, I've dug up more gourami info that I hadn't known I needed. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1