Black Beard Algae Tank

• 2 weeks later...

@eatyourpeas if you need to re-seed your tank I can mail you some! Mine seems shorter than what you’re going for, though. Mine’s just this squat black fuzz. It LOVES my driftwood but is also happily growing on glass, plastic, and plants. 🙃 It’s a tank that gets Easy Green but generally has almost 0 nitrates.

Maybe part of the trick is to have algae eaters that eat the other kinds of algae? I’ve got two otos, two plecos, and a couple ramshorn snails that the loaches haven’t eaten yet.

Thank you, @Hobbit!

I have tried all sort of BBA and it just does not want to grow for me. In any of my tanks! As an experiment, I put some in the Pygmy corydoras tank, but Elmer (CAE) ate all of it in less than a day. He is becoming a big boy!

I can give up. Some experiments succeed, some fail. Moving on, so I’ll focus on keeping the WCMM happy. 😄

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Success! I now have a nice batch of BBA growing, but in the wrong tank! 🤪

I will rearrange things and make it work. It took off during the really high temperatures, so maybe that was a factor since I was trying to grow it with the WCMM and that tank was at 60F. My other tanks stay at 74F except this past two weeks when the tank water soared to 82F

No AC in the PNW!

• Like 6

On 8/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Success! I now have a nice batch of BBA growing, but in the wrong tank! 🤪

I will rearrange things and make it work. It took off during the really high temperatures, so maybe that was a factor since I was trying to grow it with the WCMM and that tank was at 60F. My other tanks stay at 74F except this past two weeks when the tank water soared to 82F

No AC in the PNW!

it figures, you got it, but not where you wanted.😜

On 8/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, lefty o said:

it figures, you got it, but not where you wanted.😜

Indeed! But I am flexible and can now make it the right place. I am seriously considering having most of my tanks be algae tanks. Big mind shift, but I am open to adventure. 😎

On 8/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

See, you just had to stop trying (and let climate change help you along a little, I guess)!

It is indeed curious how it never occurred to me that temperature could be a factor. Now, of course that means they may all die as soon we go to our usual temperatures because we like our house on the cooler side, around 64F in the winter.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:27 PM, eatyourpeas said:

It is indeed curious how it never occurred to me that temperature could be a factor. Now, of course that means they may all die as soon we go to our usual temperatures because we like our house on the cooler side, around 64F in the winter.

You know, the tank where I have a BBA problem is my warmest tank (80 F). Hmmmmmmmmmm…

• Like 3