New to breeding and keeping guppies

Danielle77

As long as your water parameters are ok(ph 7-8, temp 73-82(warmer is better in my experience)and clean water), there really isn’t much to it. Looking at the pair, I would think that the young will grow up to be a light blue, speckled indigo, metallic purple, or anything along those lines. Ensure that they are being fed a high quality food(I use sera tropical flakes and frozen brine shrimp). Hopefully all goes well.

As time goes on, the females gravid spot will grow darker, and the darker it is, the sooner the fry will come. Expect it to be between 2 weeks and 1 month, but it may be quicker. 

Leave the fish in the tank with the fry, as it is les stressful for everyone, but make sure that there are plenty of plants for the fry to hide in once they are born. I like java moss, and hornwort if you can keep it alive(which I can’t 🙃). After the fry are dropped, simply move the parents to another tank.

Lastly, you can buy guppy fry food, and many people feed live brine shrimp, but I simply crush up flake food, and feed a small pinch a few times a day.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions.

It's usually pretty easy to do guppy fry.  I've just kept them together with the parents and plant cover, and I feed mostly crushed Krill flakes.  I personally haven't had parents who are much interested in eating many of their fry when they can eat fish food a couple times a day instead.  To put it this way, I started with 5 guppies a few years ago, and I'm sure those 5 have produced at least 700+ over the last couple years.  Right now I have around 200, but I've also sold and given a bunch away and cycled through a couple generations.  The population had no problem increasing until I added angelfish to the largest community tank (which was purposeful!).  They are super fun to raise, and it's fun to watch them develop their colors!

• Like 1

Youtube channels Aquadiction and Hawaii Hobbyist have, fun videos where they show the parent guppies they crossed and the offspring--some of the colors turn out differently than you might expect. They are fun but also it shows how hard it is to isolate the traits that you want and breed for that set of traits.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, PineSong said:

Youtube channels Aquadiction and Hawaii Hobbyist have, fun videos where they show the parent guppies they crossed and the offspring--some of the colors turn out differently than you might expect. They are fun but also it shows how hard it is to isolate the traits that you want and breed for that set of traits.

Thanks for that. Both channels just got my subscription! While we’re on in,  has anyone seen the streetwise youtube channel? Streetwise puts a lot of short tank videos on there. Just thought you might like it.

• Like 1

Nice looking pair . I always like mixing different colors , fin shape ,etc to see what I get. If you notice the male chasing her around 24/7 you might wanna get another female to give each 1 a break. Sometimes a female can get real stressed from the male constantly bugging her. Keep in mind another female another ton of babies.  GL

@JMiller2020 I did have a 2nd female but this female bullied her over food and everything. I tried adding more plants and places to hide but I came home from work one day and she was dead. I have been keeping an eye on the pair and haven't noticed any stress. I'm more worried about the male, lol. She is feisty 😄

On 1/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Leave the fish in the tank with the fry, as it is les stressful for everyone, but make sure that there are plenty of plants for the fry to hide in once they are born. I like java moss, and hornwort if you can keep it alive(which I can’t 🙃). After the fry are dropped, simply move the parents to another tank.

This is good advice to not move or stress pregnant females. I do mine opposite though. I simply fish the fry out of the parent tank. They generally hide at the top in floating plants. I don’t like to move females as pregnancy and delivery is hard on their body so I avoid stressing them farther by moving them. It is hard for first time guppy owners (myself included at first) to not save every single fry. Remember they will multiply exponentially so 10 fry today becomes 200 in 4-5 months then a few months later and you consider putting a filter in the bath tub to accommodate the hoardes. They are named the million fish for a reason.  I take between 100-200 to the LFS every 2-3 months now. If you have guppies they will out multiply your tanks even if you try to prevent it. 
Best of luck they are beautiful. I’m excited to see what colors you get. I love my mutts 🥰

• Like 1