MaxM

I have a tank with 6 Danios, a couple of Swordtails, 3 Corydoras, a Pleco, and an Angelfish. I've transferred them to a larger tank and now feel that somethings missing. I love Honey Gouramis and feel that it would make a great addition to my aquarium.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know if a Honey Gourami is incompatible with any of my other fish?

2) My understanding is that Honey Gourami like plants to hide in. Anyone know which plants are best suited for them?

Your Angel might not like the Honey Gourami, but other than that, everything should be fine.

How big is the tank? Depending on that, I would also double the amount of Corydoras.

For the plants, any plant that you like the look of will be fine. I'd look into the Anubias, Java Ferns, and Crypts, as they are relatively easy plants to grow, and look cool!

Hope that helps.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, ccurtis said:

I have a set up with everything you listed and a honey.  I have a lot of Amazon swords, Java fern, large anubias, and water wisteria. All are thriving. If the tank is large enough, your angel shouldn’t have an issue. If the tank is small that “could” be an issue. However, my angel and honey gourami have not had issues.  

I have a 25 gallon high. The fish were originally in a tank that was about 15 gallons and the Angelfish started harassing the Swordtails. That behavior stopped when I moved them into the 25 gallon tank. Although I hope to get a bigger tank (my eyes are on upgrading to a 55 gallon), my Angelfish is still not fully grown (he's about midsize), so I feel right now that there is room to add one more fish (the Honey Gourami). My understanding is that gouramis need plants to hide in to make them feel safe. Do you have any suggestions what plant is best to buy? Right now I only have one Anubias plant. I'm thinking I need a plant that grows tall. My substrate is fine black gravel. Looks like black sand.  I need a plant that will take root in such substrate. Also, since I am new to the hobby I want a plant that is easy to take care of. I'm thinking of Vallisneria.

On 10/9/2020 at 4:19 PM, ccurtis said:

Vallisneria is good. Large Amazon swords or large Java ferns are good well.  My honey tends to hang in the large Java ferns a lot.  If you go with the swords, make sure to use lots of root tabs for fertilizer. 

Thanks for your advice. Question: Is Vallisneria the easiest to take care of of the three? I'm new to plants and only have an Anubias which of course is super easy to take care of. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Hit or miss with Vallisneria. For some people it grows like a weed, but for many others just impossible to grow at all. I have had both experiences. I think the trick is getting it established before it runs out of gas.

If you can get a Vallisneria that already has some runners and is locally grown to you (check craigslist in the US) you will probably have the best luck. It seems the stuff will adapt to many conditions, but takes a while to adapt. So if shipped from another water type it may have too much to deal with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brandy said:

If you can get a Vallisneria that already has some runners and is locally grown to you (check craigslist in the US) you will probably have the best luck. It seems the stuff will adapt to many conditions, but takes a while to adapt. So if shipped from another water type it may have too much to deal with.

Do either you or Daniel know if it will grow in fine gravel? I have a fine black gravel that is a little bigger than sand. Do I need to add root tabs to get it to grow?

Mine is in Eco-complete (fine gravel sized). I do not use root tabs and I do not gravel vac...so the fish waste is my root tab. The tank is so heavily planted there is virtually no bare substrate to vac. I suspect it will do well, though you may need to boost it with a bit of root tabs if the gravel is squeaky clean. I seem to remember seeing Cory planting it in pool sand which is coarse grade sand.

Here is a pic of a wayward val runner I pulled out last night and tossed into my guppy grow out tank. You can see the size of gravel clinging to the roots.

PXL_20201011_164737383.jpg.e20451b8794f4a9b81b9b5e4d659dfda.jpg

Considering your soil type, you may want to consider plants which feed more from the water column. These are typically stem plants. I like them, but some folks don't. It's a personal preference thing.

Cory has lots of videos on growing plants.

Watch Cory's videos, learn, have fun, repeat!

Good Luck!

7 hours ago, Dandy Pearl said:

Considering your soil type, you may want to consider plants which feed more from the water column. These are typically stem plants. I like them, but some folks don't. It's a personal preference thing.

Cory has lots of videos on growing plants.

Watch Cory's videos, learn, have fun, repeat!

Good Luck!

Good point! Any recommendations?