Easy Red Plant Recommendations

Keeping in mind people like @Mmiller2001 could rock this plant better than my tanks because I'm LOW tech, I love my Ludwigia Super Red. It's a stem plant that I have in other tanks, cut a piece and put it in my, again LOW tech Aquatop with a cheap light and it's grown like crazy for a plant that gets NO ferts, NO co2. It's not super red in my tank- but a pretty purple/pink and I really like how it grows.

Resized_20211230_222253.jpg

Resized_20211230_222429.jpg

20211230_2248271.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Keeping in mind people like @Mmiller2001 could rock this plant better than my tanks because I'm LOW tech, I love my Ludwigia Super Red. It's a stem plant that I have in other tanks, cut a piece and put it in my, again LOW tech Aquatop with a cheap light and it's grown like crazy for a plant that gets NO ferts, NO co2. It's not super red in my tank- but a pretty purple/pink and I really like how it grows. 

Resized_20211230_222253.jpg

Resized_20211230_222429.jpg

Try Ludwigia Repens too. Amazing red plant for low energy tanks.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 2

I've had good success with tiger lotus. I couldn't grow it with kit tank lights but any light designed to grow plants should do fine. Heres a picture of mine in my 20 with a nicrew light. It was just the bulb when i put it in on 11/11. It's not exactly a weed but its got good color. I don't have a timer on this tank of even dose ferts, so under better conditions you'll probably get faster growth.

20211230_234421.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:50 PM, Scapexghost said:

I've had good success with tiger lotus. I couldn't grow it with kit tank lights but any light designed to grow plants should do fine. Heres a picture of mine in my 20 with a nicrew light. It was just the bulb when i put it in on 11/11. It's not exactly a weed but its got good color. I don't have a timer on this tank of even dose ferts, so under better conditions you'll probably get faster growth.

20211230_234421.jpg

I've only used kit lights in my other tanks. Which nicrew did you get for your 20? That's the size tank I'm planning to buy. 

@LoneFox what a fabulously thorough answer! Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. It'll definitely help me immensely. I appreciate you!! What lighting do you use and what tank sizes? I've only ever used kits so this will be the first tank I set up with actual good lighting. 

Edited by Jennifer V

On 1/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I have been very happy with the Fluval 2.0. I love the red tiger lotus that I got thanks to @Patrick_G's bad influence. It is a stunning plant, and my only red accent.

I'm definitely going to add that to the list! I did try a red dwarf lily twice in my first tank but it didn't work out either time, so wish me luck trying the tiger lotus. 

• Like 1