Breeding Sakura Orange Neocaridina Shrimp

Minanora

On 7/6/2022 at 9:10 AM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

I saw those same 27 gallon tubs and was thinking about using those for my breeding project. THe only problem is finding the right LED lights for those.

Hygger has inexpensive ones of all adjustable sizes on Amazon. I use those on all my tanks and totes. I love them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Micro update! My shrimp have hit the "indestructible" achievement! I can move them from tank, to tank, to tank, to bucket, to tote, to container, and any other order of musical tanks. 😂

From a pH of 6.4 back into a pH of 8.0 with no deaths or issues. TDS of over 600 to TDS of 200. Temp from 79 to 72 in less than an hour. 100% water changes. Bucket of gross stagnant water that I didn't know shrimp were in. Every challenge taken in stride!

The only thing that they will die from now, not feeding enough! Also, on the low pH tank they need mineral junkie or some fail to molt.

Got the sanctuary less cloudy. There's still particles suspended but it's hard to fix with all the tiny babies making poo constantly and feeding powdered foods.

20220713_082326.jpg.6471eeb1fe9642e79fa40b59b5907aa9.jpg

I think in a few weeks I'm going to list them on the buy/sell/swap. They are ready to travel! 😊

Edited by Minanora
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

• 4 weeks later...

I have discovered that my shrimp can withstand being put into a fine mesh strainer with mulm to be cleaned by being rinsed under RO water and survive.

Sounds cruel but I cleaned the canister on the 75 and there was so much gunk that I could not see the shrimp to save them. They were living inside the canister...

In other news, there are over 100 tiny shrimpletts in the sanctuary... The shrimp in every other tank after doing great. There are even a few in the fry grow out tank now.

In a few weeks I will begin shipping them to new homes!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

It finally happened. My shrimp are listed for sale! I've been selling them to my local post shop but this will get them a new badge. The "well traveled" badge. 😂

They are doing well! I've been super busy the last few weeks so I'm behind on maintaining the plants and such but the shrimp are making lots of babies and they're adorable! Water change tomorrow in the sanctuary. Going to be another 90% water change since I'm trimming plants.

The Shrimp in my son's tank are taking over. I didn't realize how many I put in there since they were all tiny shrimp. Lol

I saw more juvenile shrimp in the 75. They are still making more!

Shrimp in the chili ruins are proliferating as well. Shrimp in the fry grow out are still there! There's only a few but they're growing up! They're the ones I rinsed in the strainer under RO water from the inside of the canister filter.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been selling my orange shrimp now and I must say, I'm not amused at what it's done to my beautiful scape. 🤣 But I'm happy that I'm finally sharing my shrimp! So far they've only gone locally but everyone has been very happy with them. Yeah the tank is cloudy, too many shrimp, to much powdered food.

20221016_093007.jpg.4cc3e8204ff03292e0aad3a46d346e6f.jpg

Then I started a painted/racer back variant in my chili ruins. It's been going really well!

20221016_093112.jpg.f31ec08bdb9bae485f0e68c3e75c9167.jpg20221016_093126.jpg.1f3b3fe74ce5a71c7fa9532912bf158b.jpg20221016_093137.jpg.83f2d1612c2017224a5399c9e3cc8a76.jpg20221016_093157.jpg.c3e84ad20e8a11fc8a0fe6a6cc3b08fa.jpg

20221016_093151.jpg

20221016_093118.jpg

• Like 1

So good to see your orange colony multiplying. I just bought some "Sunkist" orange neos at Aquashella and I am hoping they will take off and sell well for me locally.

re: getting your shrimp to the 'indestructible" stage--that's a great feeling, I bet. I know I've transported some accidentally from one tank to the next because I found one (giant) shrimp in my outdoor pond and a whole bevy of babies in my swordtail tank, but my tanks are pretty similar in parameters so it doesn't prove much. The test will be finding out how they do at an LFS or arriving in other people's tanks and ...I'm kind of scared to ask!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2022 at 12:40 PM, Minanora said:

Yeah the tank is cloudy, too many shrimp, to much powdered food.

Replying to this a little late, but . . . . 

I just had the same thing happen to me and I figured out (after some time and trial and error) that I just needed to use a finer sponge filter.

I had changed the filter type I used right before the cloudiness began, and I could not alleviate it until I put the fine sponge filter back in. No other filter would clear the water.

At first I thought I had a bacterial bloom, but in the end, I guess some powdered food items are just too fine and need to be filtered out of the water column if they are over fed.

I had to wring the sponge out daily for the first week before things reset back to normal and the water once again became crystal clear. 

For me the culprit seemed to be bee pollen.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/6/2023 at 6:16 AM, tolstoy21 said:

For me the culprit seemed to be bee pollen.

How does your food with pollen compare to something like the ingredients in....

INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Spirulina Algae, Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Chlorella Algae, Squid Meal, Dandelion Leaf, Seaweed Meal, Whole Egg, Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Banana Powder, Brewer’s Dried Yeast, Mussel Meal, Mango Powder, Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Citric Acid, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, Ginger, Cinnamon, Dried Kelp, Phaffia Yeast, Dried Watermelon, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower,  Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Repashy super gold.  I do see some crossover with the stinging nettle and other things. Was curious how it would do with shrimp when I saw some of the things in there.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:30 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

How does your food with pollen compare to something like the ingredients in....

My food with bee pollen was bee pollen! Well I had added it to spirulina flake I had and ran it through a spice mill to make it a consistent, fine powder and was experimenting with feeding that.

Only one of my shrimp tanks started clouding up and then I realized it was the only one without a fine sponge filter, so I added one and the water cleared up right away.

I think I was probably also over feeding it, not knowing how much to use.

Or it was something else entirely that was causing the water to cloud that the fine sponge filter removed.

I guess that's all I can say for sure, that my cloudiness was particulate and not bacterial. Maybe it was the food, maybe not. 🤷‍♂️

@tolstoy21 I forgot about the bee pollen.....

I bet you're absolutely right. I recently changed my feeding routine a bit, so I'm only feeding bee pollen once a week. But I can see how it could contribute to clouding the water.

The tiny nicrew internal filter has been working like a charm. When I keep it clean... Ehem. It clogs up super fast so I am not letting it do the best job it could. A finer sponge is a good idea. Did you find one that you can attach an air stone to? I have a small fine one somewhere but you can't adjust the bubble stream like the co-op sponges. I may be able to make a replacement sponge for that co-op one I guess.

My shrimp are still breeding like crazy in all tanks. I now have yellow goldenback neocaridina shrimp in my son's new setup.

Eventually, I'll have orange rili and yellow rili in their own tanks in the future fish room. I'll move my main orange colony into the fish room as well.

@Minanora

I just use the plain old fine sponge filter you find in most fish stores or online. They don't allow the addition of an airstone, but I have never found this to be an issue. I adjust the rate of flow with a Ziss valve. 

While the tank was clearing the sponge filter clogged fast. I cleaned it daily for about a week and the resulting waste water was as black as coffee every time.

By the end of the week, the tank went back to being crystal clear.

To be honest I like the using plain old inexpensive sponge filters in my shrimp tanks. I tend to oversize them to provide more grazing area for the shrimp. I've tried a number of different options for filtration with shrimp over the years -- matten filters, HOBs, under-gravel filter boxes, the coop filter, those dual sponge filters with the ceramic bio media from hygger. But in the end, I come back to the plain old fine sponge filters for shrimp.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 5:59 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I guess that's all I can say for sure, that my cloudiness was particulate and not bacterial. Maybe it was the food, maybe not

Kind of an annoyance, but have the filtration so that you can let it get to the substrate and hardscape. Cut the air for 10-20 minutes after feeding, then turn it off. For heavier foods it takes about a minute for that to happen. Why we can't have a "feed button" is really weird to me on some filtration types.

You can also treat it like cocoa powder or cinnamon powder. Get a small dish and try to make a very loose paste. Similar amounts of food to water and then try to whisk it really well. Then add more water and repeat. Then more. Eventually it will dissolve easier if it's the type of thing that doesn't enjoy dissolving in water easily.  Then dump that in. 

That's how I feed in repashy powder too. Some are easier than others.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Eventually it will dissolve easier if it's the type of thing that doesn't enjoy dissolving in water easily. 

I kind of feel like that was part of my problem, that it was throughly dissolved enough to be suspended uniformly in the liquid.

The goal was for it to stay powder enough so that it would drift into all the crack and crevices that the newborn hide in.

But I guess I missed the mark on that one!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

What is your GH in your tanks nowadays?

Do you do anything to tap to reduce it?

Today is the day I do a full water test, so I'll post an update. I still do 50% water changes with 10L of water and use RO with one heaping scoop of salty shrimp GH/KH. At least with the main colony in the Sanctuary.

I'm sure the GH is much higher now.

• Thanks 1