Breeding Sakura Orange Neocaridina Shrimp

Minanora

On 1/16/2022 at 12:14 AM, Minanora said:

I would have started with RCS but they were either $10 a piece at my LFS, or get low grade from them for $6 a piece and those weren't even red. THEN they had orange rili, but they were $15 a piece! Their blue dream were also $15

Man those prices seem high!

Check Aquabid. There are plenty of neocaradina of all types offered there at much better prices.  You can also sometimes find them locally on CraigsList for great rates.

An I'm sure you know, there are a number of good breeders that have full storefronts online. 

$10-15 a piece for shrimp seems more like a prices you'd see for a Taiwan Bee shrimp than it does a neocardina.

I just started breeding orange rilis, but won't have an established colony for a few months yet. I have a lot of culls from these that are Orange Sakura. Been moving those to my betta tank when they are big enough to not be 'snacks'

Edited by tolstoy21

On 1/16/2022 at 5:48 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Man those prices seem high!

Check Aquabid. There are plenty of neocaradina of all types offered there at much better prices.  You can also sometimes find them locally on CraigsList for great rates.

An I'm sure you know, there are a number of good breeders that have full storefronts online. 

$10-15 a piece for shrimp seems more like a prices you'd see for a Taiwan Bee shrimp than it does a neocardina.

I just started breeding orange rilis, but won't have an established colony for a few months yet. I have a lot of culls from these that are Orange Sakura. Been moving those to my betta tank when they are big enough to not be 'snacks'

I think the prices are directly related to the fact that they're the only local shop that carries them. What's more crazy is that people buy them at those prices all the time from them. They'll buy my Orange Sakura but I haven't gotten a price or brought it up. I'm thinking it'll be at least a year before I sell any of mine. I want them in my 75 first and I'm only going to do that once I have at least 40 to drop in there and they will need to be more hardy than they are now.

That's pretty cool that the culls from the rili are Sakura's. I'm thinking that will mean that the cullings from my Sakura's will probably be green or yellow. I'll know in a few months!

I have also found that I have several Orange Sakura that are what I would call "Painted?". They are not translucent and are very orange. Only one of my males is this way and I thought he was a female because of this coloration. One of my females is the same and then one other female is very close, but not quite as opaque. I'm hoping that the shrimplets take on this brighter, more opaque coloration. I'm not going to start separating them out. With only having 3 I feel like that would be silly and lower my chances of upping the population. Especially since I only have four females right now.

Edited by Minanora
Added more.
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:09 PM, Minanora said:

That's pretty cool that the culls from the rili are Sakura's. I'm thinking that will mean that the cullings from my Sakura's will probably be green or yellow. I'll know in a few months!

Yeah it would seem that rillis are selectively bred from Sakura and/or orange pumpkin shrimp. My 'all orange' shrimp look more Sakura to me than 'pumpkin'. Not sure if 'Sakura' and 'Sunkist' are the same, but this is what the culls look like. They are very nice, but if I want more rillis, I need to relocate them to their own population. 

I think you'll find that your shrimp population will start out slow and then suddenly grow exponentially (if they are happy with their environment and free from predation). If everything is to their liking, you should be well into the hundreds of shrimp by the end of this coming summer.

They have a tendency to breed less in the winter months and then go into full swing once the spring hits.

It's very exciting when you see those first teeny-teeny-tiny shimplets on the glass. Makes you feel like you've done something right!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

@tolstoy21Sunkist is a marketing sales term someone made up, I feel the same about Pumpkin. If they say Sakura I assume (and we know where that will get me!) they’re using the breeding standards set in the competition space if they’re doing it right.

Couldn’t agree more about the seasonal variations with their breeding. In the fall I always have a ton and residual amount around Christmas and then they’ll thin out and go crazy again by the summer. 

My most successful set up is a 27 g tub in my garage fish wall. I have them on an aragonite and crushed coral substrate so I can easily see them from the top. 

• Like 2

Last night I discovered another male passed away. I think he had a failed molt. That's 3 losses now. Other shrimp are molting just fine. One of the females that had babies molted and now has a new brood under her tail.

I also saw another fresh molt and the males were swimming like crazy so I'm thinking the other female will be berried when I go check on them this morning.

Your shrimp are very pretty, I think the orange was a great choice. I am wondering whether I should remove a lot of the plants that are in with my new shrimp--I can usually only see 1 or 2 shrimp at a time. I'd rather be able to count them to see if I'm having losses but also just be able to see them, like yours.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:38 PM, PineSong said:

Your shrimp are very pretty, I think the orange was a great choice. I am wondering whether I should remove a lot of the plants that are in with my new shrimp--I can usually only see 1 or 2 shrimp at a time. I'd rather be able to count them to see if I'm having losses but also just be able to see them, like yours.

I don't think I'd remove plants unless things were way overgrown. Plants are surface area for food for them, shelter for the moms to feel comfortable and shelter for shrimplets.

A good way to count them is to give them a treat up front. Make them a shrimp lolli and most of them will come out of the woodwork for you. That's what I've seen other people do in heavily planted tanks.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 9:35 AM, Minanora said:

A good way to count them is to give them a treat up front. Make them a shrimp lolli and most of them will come out of the woodwork for you. That's what I've seen other people do in heavily planted tanks.

I took your advice and made lollies with Repashy. One shrimp hopped right on. Another shrimp hung out at the opposite end of the stick. Another shrimp watched from nearby. 40 guppy fry and 9,235,643 snails gathered round and enjoyed some Soilent Green. I'll count that as a success as I did get to see 3 shrimp and they all seemed fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:24 PM, PineSong said:

I took your advice and made lollies with Repashy. One shrimp hopped right on. Another shrimp hung out at the opposite end of the stick. Another shrimp watched from nearby. 40 guppy fry and 9,235,643 snails gathered round and enjoyed some Soilent Green. I'll count that as a success as I did get to see 3 shrimp and they all seemed fine.

This made my day. I laughed so hard. Thank you.

Maybe put in more than one lollie to split the load? Guppy fry are relentless gluttons.... I have to feed mine o-nips during water changes or else they think my hand, and anything going up the siphon is food! Generally, between the 100ish teenagers I have to put in one o-nip per side of their divider. In the time it takes for me to do a 50% removal of water from their 20G, BOTH of the o-nips are gone!

In other news, my shrimplets are doing good. I see more of them at a time now, and they're growing. I did however find another male dead last night. One of the opaque ones sadly. I'm not sure what happened to him. Diagnosing shrimp issues.... is a new challenge. Water is good, so I'm not sure. Just going to keep moving!

• Like 1

I usually use this to look at pests on my garden plants and fruit trees... But it works for shrimp as well! The top photo, my 3 year old is holding the magnifying glass. 🧡 I love that he's interested in our aquatic friends.20220118_085430.jpg.106e8e5b551a7d0c284a95a9b7927ef0.jpg20220118_085520.jpg.41bb2a32d3c3ccfd4ceb75e13a360a36.jpg

Edited by Minanora
Typo that I just noticed
  • Love 3

I had a string of failed molts. Not sure why. The water parameters were good. But I didn't bust out the GH and KH kits. I did a water change today. Shrimplets seem okay. I lost a female that was berried. I collected her eggs and made a diy egg tumbler. Time will tell if everyone survives the water change. I let it run for 3 hours. There are so many shrimplets.... Way more then 40. The eggs are probably toast but I have no way of telling so I'll just tumble them.

I only have one mature female left though, which makes me sad.

20220123_125538.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:04 AM, Minanora said:

I had a string of failed molts. Not sure why. The water parameters were good. But I didn't bust out the GH and KH kits. I did a water change today. Shrimplets seem okay. I lost a female that was berried. I collected her eggs and made a diy egg tumbler. Time will tell if everyone survives the water change. I let it run for 3 hours. There are so many shrimplets.... Way more then 40. The eggs are probably toast but I have no way of telling so I'll just tumble them.

I only have one mature female left though, which makes me sad.

20220123_125538.jpg

I'd definitely check the GH/KH (I think GH being the more important of the two) and also maybe try feeding something with a ton of calcium in it.

I feed mineral junkie, but you can also use things like TUMS or an egg shell that's be crushed to fine powder with a mortal and pestle. Certain veggies also have decent amounts of calcium in them.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:30 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I'd definitely check the GH/KH (I think GH being the more important of the two) and also maybe try feeding something with a ton of calcium in it.

I feed mineral junkie, but you can also use things like TUMS or an egg shell that's be crushed to fine powder with a mortal and pestle. Certain veggies also have decent amounts of calcium in them.

I haven't fed them any kale since the babies hatched. Maybe that's the culprit. I will start adding mineral junkie when it arrives. I also wonder if the presence of the babies has impacted how quickly the GH is used since they're all molting frequently I assume. I mean they're growing which means they're molting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No more losses so far. I started adding mineral junkie and increasing the diversity of their foods.

The babies are growing! They're so fun to watch. The only mature female will hatch her eggs some time next week. Today is water change day but here are some photos from the day before yesterday. Don't mind the algae.

20220207_090326.jpg.8356cb0e15f78a3cbfa42f7c5963cefe.jpg20220207_090402.jpg.2a685b3e015b6938d4f4e94495f86ac0.jpg20220207_090340.jpg.81d59aa8c0fcdd8f64e18c7b24682c82.jpg

And yes I know I need to root some of that hydrocotyle. It's been fun to watch. Eventually I'll prune the rotala... 🤫

Btw vacuuming with the babies is the greatest challenge of all my tanks. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

You’re probably a month or two away from potentially needing to do your first head count and cull - I’ve used a number of methods - shrimp lollies or something like kale, cucumber,or fresh spinach leaves are great for this. Brings everyone out. Then I have a definite idea of what my standard will be - with the blue dreams it’s solid navy to dark blue from tail-head-legs and those that are showing too much light blue  or rilis go into the plant growout colony which is a lighter and brighter blue ( or I sell them to the LFS). I’d use the next 1 -2 generations to figure out the confirmation you want - back line or no, that painted look vs Sakura vs Sunkist vs pumpkin if there is a difference, and also figure out what’s your best 10-12 shrimp and use them as the basis for your longer term project. Great job so far! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Beardedbillygoat1975 Thank you for the info.

I noticed your reaction to my egg tumbler post. It was a net that I rested above the sponge filter bubbles. I think it kept the eggs viable for a few days and then it shifted and the eggs stopped moving so they got milky yellow. I put them in the main tank to see if the shrimp would clean them. They ate them, so I suspect they were not viable. But I did also wait for 12 hours after I got the berried corpse to remove the eggs. So it's possible that I waited too long as well.

Here's a top view.20220124_084245.jpg.1c7f902467fede7f944a13e1181d99b6.jpg

• Sad 1