When is Too Much Glass Surfing?

Cinnebuns

Ok, I have a feeling this is a beginner being a hovering momma worried about her babies but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I know some level of glass surfing is normal, but when is it too much?  I have noticed my fish from time to time glass surfing. It's rarely the same fish over and over. At first I thought it was because it was a new tank, and maybe that's still true, but they have been in this tank for about a week. Before that I had fewer fish and they were in a 10 gallon. The paranoid part of me keeps checking the parameters,  sometimes 2x a day, and they keep coming out perfect (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20ish nitrate).  They don't seem to do it for long periods of time so maybe I'm just being a noobie and worrying too much. I just want my babies healthy and happy!  

Other factors I've read about are not enough of their kind and incompatibility also doesn't seem the factor but just in case this is what u have:  6 glo tetras, 2 guppies (1 male, 1 female, originally was going to be 2 females but long story), and 6 panda cories in a 29 gallon. 

If it's nothing pat my head and tell me "hush little one."  If it's something fill me in!  If it's nothing and you still have advice I'm all ears!  Learning is the best!!  Ty for your time!

Edit:  I realized maybe some factors adding stress is that they are currently dealing with ich. Maybe that's it?  Did I answer my own question?  

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 12/28/2021 at 10:32 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Edit:  I realized maybe some factors adding stress is that they are currently dealing with ich. Maybe that's it?  Did I answer my own question?  

I think you may have. Glass surfing is essentially them trying to leave an uncomfortable situation. Ich (I’m not a fish so don’t know first hand) is uncomfortable. It’s good to be in tune enough to notice and question all fish behaviors. It means you wil be a fantastic fish mom. To much is non stop same individual. You will know it if you ever see it because it appears frantic and non stop. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I agree with Guppysnail--the fact that you are noticing shows  you'll be good at spotting when things look wrong.

Other than new tank situations, the most persistent and frantic glass surfing I've seen is one of my female guppies when I removed her from the main tank because she was about a week away from delivery of fry and put her in my divided 10g.

I know that female guppies are sociable with each other so I figured she was frantically glass surfing because she was lonely or anxious due to being alone. I put two juvenile females in with her hoping it would settle her down but it really didn't. I've done this twice now and she never chills out, even after there are 30 fry in there with her. I'm planning to just let her have future fry in the 20g community and it'll be a survival of the fittest situation in there for the fry (there are lots of plants) because I'm uncomfortable making her crazy. In the 20g she acts like a totally normal fish.

@PineSong that totally might help me in the future cause I have a pregnant guppy right now lol. Also I'm totally for survival of the fittest and might do SOME of that myself. I wanna keep some, especially in my first batch, and my LFS will take whatever I don't want, but free fish food isn't a terrible deal either. The lady who's mentoring me for guppy breeding hates when I mention it but everything's gotta eat something!

When I have new fry expected or born in the tank I feed 3x a day so the adults will not be too motivated to hunt for fry.  I actually think fry in a heavily planted tank with lots of floating plants and well-fed adult fish are safer than fry in nature, where adult fish might be hungrier.

I've never had much glass surfing that has made me worry.  

My harlequin rasboras will glass surf many times a day usually where the highest flow is that is downward.  In my current tank that is the front left.  I do have a few red tuxedo guppies that follow around the harlequins occasionally in the corners and like to run the back wall into the outflow from the filter.