Power vacuum recommendations?

Bill

Does anyone have good power vacuum recommendations?

I have a pair of angels that spawned in my quarantine tank. I don't want to pull the eggs because I want to give the pair a chance to see if they can raise the fry. Problem is the quarantine tank is down low, which is terrible for siphoning. I usually don't care because I just stick my pond pump in the corner for water changes, then reverse to fill. I clean it out when done with quarantine. It's going to take me a couple weeks to setup an more optimal tank for them (and the pair that bred in my community tank!).

If the fry survive, I'll want to keep it clean. I have a utility sink about 10 feet from the tank. There was a YouTube vid on making a DIY vac from using a pump, but if anyone has used one they like, let me know.

Thanks!
Bill

I have been checking the Cobalt Products web sit off and on for the past few months hoping the MJ1200 will be available again. I was thinking this was yet another delay due to COVID.

https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/collections/pumps-1/products/mj400-multi-purpose-powerhead-pump?variant=31849232531559

I was looking for one after Cory mentioned it in one of his videos as part of a setup for water changes.

If the MJ 1200 is not available, does Cory recommend a "second best" if the 1200 can't be had?

• Like 1

This is the UPETools vac. I needed something ASAP and it's working great. You can see the on/off switch below. This is the attachment for vacuuming bare bottom. I'm not doing much of that now, just positioning it in the corner away from the fry. It's quiet, fast, and has not freaked out the parents. 

IMG_2272.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up on this. I started using this on my 53 gallon display tank with the brush attachment for water changes. It's the size of the attachment above. Great for brushing over driftwood, rocks, and even plants with it. Don't even use the gravel attachment, just the brush. Probably the best $35 I've spent recently. 

On 10/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, MickS77 said:

I've always wanted to try one of these, seems like Cobalt MJ pumps are discounted now though. 

MJV-MJ1200-Vacuum-attachement_2564.jpg

Hmm has me thinking I have this or a similar pump. That i could attach to the return flow hose on the vac build

"Thinking, Thinking"

1 hour ago, KBOzzie59 said:

I'm doing some plumbing to use a Fluval 107 as a filter/vacuum.  Once I get it all together I'll post a parts list.  This should work with all canister filters (probably different size plumbing for some brands).

I like the idea of a canister filter I may have to reinvest sometime back into this project. I would need the ability to move to multiple tanks which complicate the build a bit.