Noobie with Possible Ich

Cinnebuns

PH:  8.2

Ammonia:  0

Nitrite:  0

Nitrate:  20 ppm

Temp: 76 F

I have only been keeping fish for a little over a month. I am pretty sure this is ich but I want to make sure. Also I want to make sure I'm treating correctly. I thought at one point I heard that increasing temp to roughly 82 F and salt can do it but now I'm reading I should get Ich X. Sadly that's one thing i didn't grab when I stocked up on "incase I need it" stuff. Another concern is i have a pregnant guppy and idk how treatment might effect her. In the tank is 6 glo tetras and 2 guppies. 

Including 2 pics. 

20211226_192615.jpg

20211226_192414.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

Hi @Cinnebuns sure looks like it to me. Sadly this never happens when the stores are open. Yes you can treat Ich with Aquarium salt but I have not tried it myself. Ich X would come in handy if it's something you can get tomorrow. 

Raising the temperature increases the life cycle of Ich and the only time they are susceptible to medication is a very short window- the scabs that you see fall off, releasing eggs into your substrate, they incubate then hatch when they come up to swim (in the hundreds) THIS is when the meds can kill them- otherwise they attach to new hosts and the cycle starts again. The heat speeds up the lifecycle- I've treated Ich a few times 1x with heat the other times without both successfully- but you have to treat your fish longer. 

If you have no other options here is the Aquarium Co-op link for treating it with salt: 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Start whatever treatment you choose ASAP as it can get out of control pretty quickly! But it is one of the easiest illnesses to ID and treat IMO. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Also @Cinnebunsdo a good cleaning and small water change before dosing IchX - I'm sure the instructions say that but water changes during medication times are usually not encouraged- follow whatever they say- watch your ammonia levels- heat speeds up decay in your tank. Good luck my fishy friend!

• Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, Ich-X, which works great, by the way, does indeed recommend a water change (daily, if I remember correctly) during the regimen. Remember to continue to treat after the visible white spots are gone. I believe I did 7 days after last visible sign, though many recommend 3-4 days. I wanted to be certain.

• Like 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX @quikv6 @lefty o my LFS had a different product called nox ich. He said he usually only has to use it for 3 days ESPECIALLY when treated early like I am. Hopefully it works out that way!  I did gravel vac before I added it eventho it's not on the instructions for this product since, likeyou said, it lives in the substrate. Can't hurt. I assume then the meds will dissipate on their own and/or be taken out with regular water changes and no worry is needed after they are treated correct?

Usually you do a small water change after treatment with most meds but you may want to leave this for at least a day after the last treatment if there are no signs of stress or ammonia. 

Follow the instructions on this carefully it must be super concentrated because it says 1 drop per gallon. Do your best to calculate your volume so you don't OD. Do another round as the bottle says if you still see spots. It also says to use half dose on some fish. Seems like strong stuff, be careful with it!

81a5R2VHA3L._AC_SY879_.jpg