Amano Shrimp questions

GameCzar

We are considering getting some Amano shrimp to help with some algae problems (and just enjoy because we think they're cool).
Checking our sources I'm getting mixed messages.   Some say they should be kept in an invert only tank because fish will eat them, and some say they can live fine with fish.  
It looks like most places you order them from they come 1/2" and grow to 3.    Should we grow them out larger before adding them to community tanks?    Are they social at all or can they live alone in a community tank?  
Any other Amano info is greatly appreciated. 

On 12/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, lefty o said:

i keep them in a community tank, and have had no issues with them being eaten.. imo any of them 1" or bigger should be fine with most community fish.

If they come in 1/2" would you grow them out a bit before adding them to fish?   I'm thinking even at 1/2 inch they should be good to grow out in our green neon tank.

They are social and should be kept in a group. I love my amanos! I honestly stuck them straight into my community tank from the start and they were experts at hiding underneath the java moss and in the other plants while they settled and grew. I actually didn't see them ever for about a month; they laid low, stole some food on the sly, and gained size. Now they're out all the time and don't care at all about the other fish in my community tank. It's up to you how much risk you're willing to take, but if you have a densely-planted tank, they will probably be able to take care of themselves in the community.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, GameCzar said:

Thanks for the info, y'all!  We decided to go with cherry shrimp instead!  

Curious to know, are you putting them straight into your community tank? I already have blue neocaridina in a 10 gallon with endlers and the colony is thriving. I love them so much and how well they keep the tank and substrate clean of debris that I'm tempted to add red cherry shrimp to my 29 gallon, but I fear they might just turn into expensive fish food. 🤪 Let me know what you're planning!

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 8:07 PM, laritheloud said:

Curious to know, are you putting them straight into your community tank? I already have blue neocaridina in a 10 gallon with endlers and the colony is thriving. I love them so much and how well they keep the tank and substrate clean of debris that I'm tempted to add red cherry shrimp to my 29 gallon, but I fear they might just turn into expensive fish food. 🤪 Let me know what you're planning!

We're going to put them in with our green neons I think.   I think babies would be safer with them than with our ravenous guppies!  Right now its just 8 green neons, so I think they'll be a nice fit.   We considered blues because they are so dang pretty, but they're a little more expensive and we have a bad track record with shrimp.   (We tried Tangerine Tiger caradina shrimp once before).

Neocaridina/Cherry Shrimp varieties are pretty low-maintenance. I got mine from a very sweet hobbyist on Aquabid, drip acclimated for about 1.5 hours, and all of them survived and went on to have plenty of babies. I've heard Caridina shrimp are a bit more sensitive and challenging, and tend to like neutral-to-acidic water (which I definitely do not have). In the roughly 8 months I've kept shrimp I've probably only pulled out 5 to 10 dead ones out of the hundred plus in the tank, and I always assumed it was just old age since they don't live very long. Good luck, and I hope the cherries work out for you!

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2021 at 8:07 PM, laritheloud said:

I have neos in community tanks.  While I'm sure one occasionally gets eaten, they're well able to maintain a colony.  The key is providing ample hiding places, like dense plants that the fish can't get into easily, or a pile of rocks, roughly nickel sized.

• Thanks 2

On 12/26/2021 at 11:24 AM, JettsPapa said:

I have neos in community tanks.  While I'm sure one occasionally gets eaten, they're well able to maintain a colony.  The key is providing ample hiding places, like dense plants that the fish can't get into easily, or a pile of rocks, roughly nickel sized.

The tank is well planted, but I could probably do with more hardscape.   I do have one of co-op's Shrimp Caves.