Prochaska

I recently upgraded my multi colony to this 29g. There are currently 12-16 mature adults with 2-3 Bull males. Also 8 grow out juveniles and who knows how many fry in the 3+ dozen shells. They started burying their shells and breeding immediately after moving in, surprise, surprise. 

I also settled on the new rock configuration I think. Lots of levels, angled line of sight breaks, and many caves/crevices in the holey rock/dragon stone combo. I think this should allow me to get a trio of julidochromis transcriptus. 

Still waiting on 2 XXL Anubias for those corner planter stones to help with additional cover and breaks of sight and soaking up those nitrates. 

I think I should also get a power head just to make sure no debris is really settling all over the rockwork. I have a Seachem Tidal HOB and a Medium Size Co-Op Sponge. 

Is it possible to maybe grow out a single Calvus/Compressiceps or any of the Altolamprologus species in said tank? I’ve read how they take forever to hit full size, so maybe I could have one for a while before needing to trade em in or sell it?

What do y’all think? Any advice or experience you have in the matter would be greatly appreciated!

D20691A7-2C43-4C0C-BBF8-D56EEA0966E4.jpeg

Edited by Prochaska
  • Love 1

On 12/24/2021 at 11:44 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The Temple of Shell - all hail! Very cool design and execution. I’ve got brevis and they’re already too big for their shells so I’m going online soon to grab whale eyes and some other larger conical shells. Well done. 

Thank you for the kind words, just to think I started out with 3 just under a year ago!

I have escargot, whales eye and sea urchin shells for the multies. I also have small pink “raspberry” shells in there for color and aesthetic that they also enjoy moving around like sand.

• Like 1

I started with 3 calvus and 2 paired off. The odd fish out is now living in a 20 long with a colony of multifasciatus. No real problems yet but this was done with temporary in mind. I did have problems when this colony was in a 40 breeder. I added rockwork and caves higher in the water column and tried to mix in some caudopunctatus. They were getting their butts kicked by the multis.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 2:21 AM, s1_ said:

I started with 3 calvus and 2 paired off. The odd fish out is now living in a 20 long with a colony of multifasciatus. No real problems yet but this was done with temporary in mind. I did have problems when this colony was in a 40 breeder. I added rockwork and caves higher in the water column and tried to mix in some caudopunctatus. They were getting their butts kicked by the multis.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your lake tang experience with me! Do you think that aggression came from them being physically so similar? That’s why I think I can get away with 1 Altolamprologus and a trio of J. transcripts being so different physically from the multies. 

Edited by Prochaska

It’s been a week since I added 5 Juli Transcriptus and the smallest Calvus a local store had.

The Julis and the Multies had quite the gang war when first introduced. I did so under no light and kept light off for the next two evenings coming home from work. I think the Multies had really come accustomed to all the new territory and rock work of their new upgraded tank in a quick few days and weren’t inclined to easily give it up. Luckily I have had no fatalities in either species.

Once the Anubias came in though it really helped me break up even more lines of sight and really help split the tank horizontally into a top and bottom half. The Julis have now claimed the upper parts and the sides of the rock pile and most of the plants. Now them and the Multies rarely notice each other outside of feeding time or one drifting off a little too far from the rest.

The Calvus gets along with everyone and hasn’t had many if any real scuffles, he has more or less claimed the territory on the back half of the rock pile. He does sometimes come out in the upper piles of the rock to interact with the Julis. He is an eager eater and usually first in line when the lid is opened!

Got a power head this weekend to make sure the water is getting well circulated for the L Sponge and 55 Tidal. Still a lot of time left to see how this little community develops but so far off to a good start!

218D691B-0C9E-41A8-AB53-1D104E5C0824.jpeg

D52D3FAB-057E-4C4E-A768-770463EAFD3E.jpeg

• Like 1