Keeping ram cichlids

Nik_n

Hello everyone, 

I was considering adding a pair or a trio of ram cichlids (probably german blue/gold) to my planted community 50gallon tank, stocked with 2 angelfish, 2 blue gouramis, 5 columbian tetras and three bristle nose pleocs. I had some concerns as this would be the first time I keep rams. 

I keep the tank at 27°C. I know rams require higher temperatures but would they be alright at 27/28°C? 

In terms of breeding:

In case I would decide to breed (if I could get a pair form the trio) I would condition them in the main tank and then transfer them to a breeding container/ fry grow out where I would raise the temperature t0 29/30°C. 

Would it work out?  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, Nik_n said:

Hello everyone, 

I was considering adding a pair or a trio of ram cichlids (probably german blue/gold) to my planted community 50gallon tank, stocked with 2 angelfish, 2 blue gouramis, 5 columbian tetras and three bristle nose pleocs. I had some concerns as this would be the first time I keep rams. 

I keep the tank at 27°C. I know rams require higher temperatures but would they be alright at 27/28°C? 

In terms of breeding:

In case I would decide to breed (if I could get a pair form the trio) I would condition them in the main tank and then transfer them to a breeding container/ fry grow out where I would raise the temperature t0 29/30°C. 

Would it work out?  

I think this could work out fine. 27-C is just fine for Rams. They may need a little time to adjust to their tank mates. Sometimes a trio works, but often there is "a third wheel" who gets chased or bullied -- either a subdominant male, or a non-favored female. Not always... but sometimes. We've bred a number before. I've been keeping a GBR breeding journal going for awhile, started this past summer. My son bred a hoard of Golden Opal Rams (a 2nd generation cross from an Electric Blue and a Golden Ram). You can watch his videos here...

I would definitely go for 2; preferably m/f but m/m can also work sometimes. Also i would think about raising the temp to 28; while 27 can work a bit warmer is more reliable. Remember rams have a low tolerance to sudden change in temp so when you do water changes make sure the new water is the same temp as the old water.

Thank you for the replies I'm glad rams would fit in the tank. I will go for a pair f/m then, still not sure which type tho. 

On 12/25/2021 at 7:49 AM, Fish Folk said:

I think this could work out fine. 27-C is just fine for Rams. They may need a little time to adjust to their tank mates. Sometimes a trio works, but often there is "a third wheel" who gets chased or bullied -- either a subdominant male, or a non-favored female. Not always... but sometimes. We've bred a number before. I've been keeping a GBR breeding journal going for awhile, started this past summer. My son bred a hoard of Golden Opal Rams (a 2nd generation cross from an Electric Blue and a Golden Ram). You can watch his videos here...

Thank you this will be very helpful! 

• Like 1