Holiday foods!!

xXInkedPhoenixX

Sadly I *get* to work 12hr shifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas and NYE and New Years day! Lucky me!!! But there is one thing I always find time for. GINGERBREAD!!!!!!! It's my most favorite cookie of all, it takes hours and hours for me to complete my Gingerbread so sadly it only gets made once, maybe 2x a year and is demanded by family and friends. I of course hoard some for myself....  (I also made Snickerdoodles- which are NOT my favorite but a friend's request) Let me live vicariously, show me your holiday eats for these two holidays!

Resized_20211221_145219(1).jpg

Resized_20211221_210008(1).jpg

Resized_20181221_182050.jpg

Resized_20191225_221849.jpg

Resized_20191225_100855.jpg

Resized_20211220_193453(1).jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 4
  • Love 10

My mom always makes homemade clam chowder for our gathering. It's the best!  My brother-in-law also makes some great wings. I just show up, play with my nephews, and eat. Maybe it pays to not have a special thing you are known for making haha. 

Your cookies look AMAZING btw. So fun!  The houses are super cute too!

• Thanks 1

No pictures but I just finished off the last of my snowball cookies. They're pretty much all butter, powdered sugar, and walnuts, but are almost too delicious. I made them Sunday and they were all gone by Wednesday. I only make them once a year or else I'd need to widen my doorways.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I didn't take any pictures, but made a bunch of Christmas cookies a week ago and gave a bunch of trays away this week.  Some of the ones I made: peanut butter kisses, buckeyes, snowballs, kolachies (a Hungarian cookie), cut out sugar cookies, chocolate and peanut butter fudge, and chocolate covered pretzels. Every year, I tell myself I want to plan and build a large gingerbread house and display, but it hasn't happened yet. I haven't made a gingerbread house since I was in culinary school, almost 30 years ago. 

• Like 3

Wow, those look amazing!

My SO's family always did chili and cinnamon rolls. We'll be making those for our young family today. In past years we've made frosted sugar cookies and pfeffernuesse, but we haven't had time for cookies the last few years since we've had the kiddo.

• Like 2

That all looks SO yummy! I LOVE your gingerbread men lol! We usually make fudge, sugar, and swedish cookies, but my mom and son did them together this year. I have a big pot of chicken noodle soup going right now, not a tradition just craving it for some reason. My mom usually brings monkey bread Christmas morning, as well as hanky pankies which was my grandmas tradition for as far back as either of us can remember. 

Sucks you have to work, but hopefully you can enjoy some drama free downtime in between! 

• Like 2

All those baked goodies look amazing--like Martha Stewart made them!

I did make gingersnaps and cranberry nut bread, but my holiday specialty is eggplant parmesan. It takes forever to make if you're cooking for a crowd so I make it once a year and my mother usually makes it once a year and that's it 'til next year. She made hers for Thanksgiving so yesterday was my turn.

It's one of those great dishes that gets better and better the more times you reheat it, so leftovers are more fiercely guarded than the original 🙂 No photo because it pretty much looks like a crime scene--not the most photogenic food, lol.

Gsnaps.JPG.89ce7552a7936abd690811ca75ffb9f2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 12/23/2021 at 10:36 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Sadly I *get* to work 12hr shifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas and NYE and New Years day! Lucky me!!! But there is one thing I always find time for. GINGERBREAD!!!!!!! It's my most favorite cookie of all, it takes hours and hours for me to complete my Gingerbread so sadly it only gets made once, maybe 2x a year and is demanded by family and friends. I of course hoard some for myself....  (I also made Snickerdoodles- which are NOT my favorite but a friend's request) Let me live vicariously, show me your holiday eats for these two holidays!

Resized_20211221_145219(1).jpg

Resized_20211221_210008(1).jpg

Resized_20181221_182050.jpg

Resized_20191225_221849.jpg

Resized_20191225_100855.jpg

Resized_20211220_193453(1).jpg

Well done! 

My baking skills produce edible but rarely picture worthy results.  

• Haha 1

Beautiful cookies! I like to bake but haven't had the energy to do too much. I made two batch of cookies and a cake for my dad's birthday; it was today. Most of my holiday traditions center around old country Ukrainian food. I make vareniky (most people know them as pierogies!), mushroom dumplings, borscht, kutia, fish, and lots of mushroom side dishes for Christmas Eve. Someday I want to make the caramel torte my grandmother used to make... I have her recipe but it is labor-intensive and I  simply haven't been able to try making it yet. 

I hope everyone here has a very happy holiday season and a Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 11:23 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@laritheloud I'd love to pinch that torte recipe from you to keep her recipe alive (of course if you're willing to pm it to me). I have an English scone recipe from one of my former co-workers who was English that was her mom's and I refuse to eat any other scones they are so good. Family recipies are the best!

I'm about to head to bed but I'll dig it up in the morning for you! 🙂 I believe it might have austro-hungarian roots? Which makes sense because she lived in Austria as a little girl after leaving Ukraine and before coming to the USA after WWII.

• Love 1

have no photo but every year Mom and I makes chocolate candies , from reece cups, turtles, covered chocolate cherries and other candies you find at candy stores my Mom used to run a Candy Cake Shop  & Catering  

.. she gave classes on candy making ,, and cake decorating .. i worked for her growing up.. Mom and I are not in business any more ..

but we still make candy and tons of cookies and pies and breads like banana , pumpkin breads   we make the candy ahead around Thanksgiving and store it a cool  place till we pass it out for Christmas.. better to store in fridge or cool place

most times we get 100 pounds of chocolate to make enough for 3 sets of families and friends  there is 12 kids on my mom’s side and six on my step dad’s ,, when family or friends knows we are making we get company 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 2