Does my new Betta look okay? Is this an injury or issue?

Goldie Blue

I brought home a new Betta two days ago. He had this marking on his head and I don't know if it's my imagination but it looks like it's getting darker. I can't tell if this is just his markings or if he is possibly injured or sick. If anyone with experience can take a look and give me your thoughts I'd appreciate it! 

IMG_20211223_163659.jpg

I love his grumpy face!

Bettas can change colors a lot based on how well they are feeling--he may have been paler because he was stressed in the store, or by the move. I would take a picture in the same lighting every day for a few days while you wait and see if he shows any signs of illness--if his appetite is good and you don't see any active injury, that'll help you feel more comfortable.

• Love 1

On 12/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, PineSong said:

I love his grumpy face

I know, he's so adorable! His lil lips are too much! I still need a name for him. 

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I be keeping a close eye on him and definitely take a picture each day. He's eating great and seems content, and other than that mark on his head I don't notice anything else off. I'm probably just paranoid after having a pretty big tragedy where I lost a lot of fish in my other tank a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 7:56 PM, Goldie Blue said:

I'm probably just paranoid after having a pretty big tragedy where I lost a lot of fish in my other tank a few weeks ago. 

Been there, too. It can be nerve-wracking to feel helpless when that happens. Hope this guy settles in and gives you peace of mind.

• Love 1