Blackworms in my tank idea?

lmhicks101

Morning to all you fishy people. I was thinking of introducing some black worms to my tank to give my Kuhlis and other fish some hunting fun.

I know they’re not harmful or anything and the worst I’ll get is a carpet of wiggles. I don’t mind that but I do have white planaria in the tank. As I don’t have shrimp I don’t care and they can have all the snail eggs they can eat.

The question is will they bother the black worms? I see them near the detritus worms a lot but never see them eating them. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 9:52 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Really?!  Tell me more, please. 

Forum guidelines prohibit sharing names of or promotion of aquatic businesses, otherwise I’d link.

Basically, your LFS is the last step in a small handful of middle-men when it comes to live foods. Black worms are healthiest when the steps from culture-farm to your aquarium are strictly limited.

Edited by Fish Folk

Thanks, @Fish Folk!  I know of places I can order - even some posted here previously.  That wasn't my main interest, but thank you for considering it as a part of the reply!

I think I understand what you are saying, but I'll try to restate in case I failed.  You are saying that the worms are all grown on a few farms and the sooner you get them, the healthier they are?  I guess, I haven't noticed the the ones I get at my LFS aren't healthy.  They sometimes have too many leeches though.  But if they are coming from the same farms, I wouldn't be able expect fewer, right?  I hope this doesn't come off as argumentative.  It is so rare people say don't shop your LFS for something, that I'm really interested.  I'd certainly be excited to get blackworms with no leeches.  So much so, I've even considered culturing my own.

• Like 1

@Fish Folk I just changed out my substrate from fluval stratum to HTH sand so I’m reconsidering  letting them in my main tank. How long do they last in the fridge? My local store can only get them as small as a 1/4 pound so is that to much for a 29 gallon with some Kuhlis, pygmy corries, harlequins, and cardinals or would that last awhile? 

Edited by lmhicks101
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 7:55 PM, lmhicks101 said:

@Fish Folk I just changed out my substrate from fluval stratum to HTH sand so I’m reconsidering  letting them in my main tank. How long do they last in the fridge? My local store can only get them as small as a 1/4 pound so is that to much for a 29 gallon with some Kuhlis, pygmy corries, harlequins, and cardinals or would that last awhile? 

That’s hard to say for sure. In the video above, 1/4 lb. is roughly an entire tray worth. I’m not too familiar with the sand you describe. If it compacts very much, the worms might stay on top of it awhile. Your fish will probably do things you’ve never seen before. Our Bronze Corys would literally bury their faces in the sand to pull out black worms 😂

If the worms survive a few days, your fish will be totally gorged… and will probably breed the next time you do a water change. I’m not sure how to predict how many worms might remain as an ongoing snack. When I “seeded” the substrate for our Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish, it was cheap pea-gravel. Worms survived for a few weeks. I never fed the OPS, and they spawned soon thereafter.

Now, if the worms _die_ in your tank uneaten, there’s risk of fatal ammonia spike. I usually feed liberally and assume some survive a few days. But I’ve never dumped a 1/4 lb. in at once. I’d be very careful to wash out Black Worms from LFS. I’ve gotten them in 70% DOA before…

On 12/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, Fish Folk said:

Here’s the how-to for daily cleaning…

Thanks for linking the vids!  I use a technique to keep them much like Wild Fish Tanks does:

That seems to keep them going for me for more than a month without issues.  Plus, I am pretty sure they grow and I end up with moire than i bought.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:43 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve gotten them in 70% DOA before…

Wow!  Now I see why you want to order.  I've been lucky then.  I've never had a noticeable dead component from my place here.  I feel really fortunate! 

Thanks again for walking me through your system and rational! 

• Like 3

@lmhicks101 I can’t say I’ve seen it happen with blackworms, but I have seen planaria attack whiteworms.  I was out of blackworms when I started having a planaria issue.  I’ve treated the planaria (I used No Planaria after removing all nerites and nerite relatives from the tank) and cleared them before blackworms became available again.

I would make the assumption that if they attack and kill whiteworms they would likely do the same for blackworms, but I do not know that for certain.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My LFS has started selling blackworms in small cups, supplied by a local hobbyist.  I'm not sure how many there are in terms of mass, but just eyeballing it, I estimate that there are between two and three dozen worms in there, so it's not a big quantity (the cup itself is maybe a four or so ounces capacity).  Anyway, I have a 10 gallon with two honey gouramis and five cardinals tetras with a gravel substrate.  I didn't buy the cup of worms when I was last there, because I figured it was too many for my little community, and I assumed the uneaten worms would be a problem in the tank (and I knew there was no way my wife would be okay with live worms in our refrigerator!).  But from what I read above, it seems like any 'leftover' blackworms might just escape into the substrate and maybe get picked off over time by the fish?  I has no expectation of the worms reproducing or anything; I just don't want to have any problems with ammonia spikes or anything else from uneaten blackworms.  Could I get away with buying the cup?

I have seeded multiple tanks with blackworms.  If your biofiltration is good and you have clean, heathy worms, you’re pretty safe adding 2-3 dozen to most tanks, but I would add them after lights out so your fish don’t go on an eating binge.  The waste created from an eating binge could give you an ammonia/nitrite spike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1