New to Guppy Breeding Question

Cinnebuns

I have had a lone male guppy for about a month while dealing with beginner mistakes. Today I got him 2 girlfriends. I know male guppies are, let's say, eagar, but I didn't expect him to try to mate with them through the bag while I was floating them. Dude's thirsty.

I did a ton of research before getting these guys but as expected sometimes questions you didn't plan for come up. 

So my question is this...should I seperate him from them eventually so they don't have to deal with his harassment for a long period of time or are they ok?  I do want at least one of them to get pregnant but I have a feeling that's happened after 1 hour lol. 

• Like 1

Male Guppies have a very limited number of things that occupy their mind. However, your females are likely already carrying milt from other males. If they're happy, they'll drop fry each month for you. Provide tons of plants, and you'll be in business fast. I'd just let them go and see what happens. Probably, the first fry they drop will be from fertilization by other males they've already been in a tank with. Very few stores or wholesalers are strict with keeping males and females apart.

Here's a tank I ended with one male and about 6-8 females in. They started dropping fry mid-August...

And As of early December, here is what the tank looks like...

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/21/2021 at 10:44 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I have had a lone male guppy for about a month while dealing with beginner mistakes. Today I got him 2 girlfriends. I know male guppies are, let's say, eagar, but I didn't expect him to try to mate with them through the bag while I was floating them. Dude's thirsty.

I did a ton of research before getting these guys but as expected sometimes questions you didn't plan for come up. 

So my question is this...should I seperate him from them eventually so they don't have to deal with his harassment for a long period of time or are they ok?  I do want at least one of them to get pregnant but I have a feeling that's happened after 1 hour lol. 

male guppy's have 2 things on their mind, and #2 is food. with 2 females, and 1 male, they should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:44 PM, Cinnebuns said:

should I seperate him from them eventually so they don't have to deal with his harassment for a long period of time or are they ok?

Anecdotal but my experience is it can depend. I started with a trio like you but the temperament of the girls were different and that ended up being a problem. Mary-Kate (girl #1) got fed up with being harassed and would hide in a cave then would dart out and chase away Jack if he came anywhere near the entrance. Ashley was not assertive at all and made no effort to hide so this meant she was constantly being singled out. I had a spare tank already so separating was the easiest short term solution.

Alternative to separating you could also add more girls. But if the attention is being divided equally leaving things as is should mean they're okay.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2