Hello all,

I have an empty 60 gallon sitting around and I am thinking of getting it set up into a Central American cichlid tank if possible.

I currently have a 150g South American community, a 60g Asiatic community and a 30g Lake Tanganyika community (micros). 

I know CA Cichlids are known for their tenacious aggression and breeding, I have had some in the past including firemouths, Honduran red points, salvinis and of course convicts. 

I know a 60g is not a large tank and it has a rather small footprint being a "Tall" tank. Am I limited to only getting away with the CA cichlids I have kept in the past, or is there a possibility of making a larger CA cichlid work in a 60g tank such as a, Texas, Carpinits, Jack Dempsey, Cuban, or a Nicaraguan? 

If so would it be a solitary tank, or could I get away with a breeder pair? 

Is there an option for a decent sized CA cichlid in a 60g with other smaller CA cichlids I've kept in the past or livebearers?

I greatly appreciate any and all responses and shared knowledge and experience on this matter or any other suggestions of stocking species, Thank You!

I think for the bigger boys and girls it would be a singleton tank. It is not enough room for 3-5 large cichlids that then need to fight it out for dominance and the right to breed. 

In my mind some of the most beautiful tanks I have seen recently on YT (George Farmer had an amazing one) are with firemouths, blue eyes, and a huge group of sailfin mollies. Cryptoheros spilurus is a gorgeous fish, related to convicts but just way cooler and did I mention gorgeous. @Zenzoposted a video of his gorgeous group of them. Sorry to use gorgeous so much but they are now on my list if when I get to do a 100+g CA community tank. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I think for the bigger boys and girls it would be a singleton tank. It is not enough room for 3-5 large cichlids that then need to fight it out for dominance and the right to breed. 

In my mind some of the most beautiful tanks I have seen recently on YT (George Farmer had an amazing one) are with firemouths, blue eyes, and a huge group of sailfin mollies. Cryptoheros spilurus is a gorgeous fish, related to convicts but just way cooler and did I mention gorgeous. @Zenzoposted a video of his gorgeous group of them. Sorry to use gorgeous so much but they are now on my list if when I get to do a 100+g CA community tank. 

I appreciate the insight and the stocking suggestion! I know I couldn't get multiple big boys in a 65g, do you think I could get away with one and some firemouths or salvinis maybe? I also love the idea of livebearers as a dither fish especially when they are endemic to CA if that is my only real option for tank mates!

Gosh that is so fish dependent, you could have a really gentle giant or you could get a killer. If you went that direction I would be ready to move some fish quickly. I would camp out there for 72 hours but that still is no insurance that one day they get ticked off and carnage ensues especially as they grow, get their adult hormones and can't breed they'll need some way to get their frustrations out. 

• Like 1