Anyone use random décor in theur tanks?

KittenFishMom

As I say, I rather backed into the hobby, so my décor is a bit atypical and random.

I found this white thing years ago at a Salvation Army. I did not know what it was. I thought maybe something for a fruit center piece.  I was going to search for it online, but never got around to it.  I thought if I turned it upside down and put a weight on it, the fish might like it.  I call it the UFO. The young cat fish spend all day vertical in the center part. they tail just brushing the bottom.  A bit of blood worm liquid or brine shrimp bring them out in a hurry.  It is so odd to know they rest crammed together in an upright position. There are oval slits where the center tube connects to the rest, so I am can see their barbels (whiskers) stick out, and I am sure they get good water circulation. The crayfish often clings to the inside of the outer arms. The plants on top get extra light because they are closer to the top of the water.

It is strange looking, but maybe someone should market it?

Tank UFO.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Love 1

Another random bit of décor that both the fish and I like is this white plastic basket weave "look" basket with handles holes at each end from Amazon.  I put it in the 120 to get a water garden plant a boost to the surface of the water.  The mudpuppies immediately moved in. It took me some time to find them. Full grown mudpuppies are hard to misplace.

Now I have it in the 55 gallon tank. The first time a bullhead went in, he panicked and swim in tight circles until he popped out at high speed. Now they all understand how to get in and out. The bullhead waltz up to it and go in to see in the slowed current and trapped any yummy morsels and then waltz out again. The crayfish was hanging out there until I put the easy planters at angles on the rocks. Now I often see a bit of him hangout out from under the planters.

The nice thing about the basket is the open "weave" let me see what is going on inside, and yet the creatures inside feel like they are safely hiding.  When I took the "UFO" out for cleaning. the bullhead all hid under the basket until their space ship returned.

The handle holes are at the ends a little above the floor of the tank. of course some floating plants have floated in front of the handle hole when I snapped the photo.1017199497_hidingbasket.jpg.ad0c90888855944b4f1baee38823b0db.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Love 1

I don't have anything random in my tanks right now but I can see how fish would like that basket for sure.

If you've seen Guppysnail's glass plant holders that suction cup onto the sides of the tank...they made me think that wine glasses might be a good way to get plants who need intense light up near the top of the tank where the light is.