Cherry Shrimp and snails in the same tank.

RonBFree

I have a six tanks with various colors of neocaaridina shrimp.  The tanks are heavily planted with a good growth of algae on the back and sides.  The shrimp breed well.   I feed various kinds of shrimp specific foods including Bacter AE.  They get flake and pelleted fish foods and blanched zucchini once weekly.  I put a small Wondershell in the tank every few months or so. I do a 15% water change a couple times a month. When I have added small mystery snails or rams horn snails from my community tanks they never live very long.  Anyone have an idea why.

There might not be enough food for mystery snails. I’ve not kept ramshorns. Mystery snails eat A LOT. Each of mine will devour a half lengthwise steamed green bean daily or the equivalent of another veg plus either a wafer or repashy. They need lots of calcium in their diet not just in the water. Mystery snails are not great algae eaters and missed uneaten food is not enough for them unless it is extreme  so need good supplemental feeding. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1