First Time Stocking After Fishless Cycle

Cinnebuns

My first time doing a fishless cycle in my 29-gallon and I wanna make sure I'm doing this right. I finally finished the cycle and will be adding fish tomorrow. Eventually I will have in the tank 6 glo tetras and 3 guppies (I have plans for fry).  Later down the road I might add 6 pygmy corydoras.   

Let me know if this plan sounds right:

1.  Do a massive water change (80-90%) to get rid of the nitrate. 

2.  Add the 6 glo tetras. 

3.  After tests come back clean, about a week I think, add the guppies. 

4.  After the tests come back clean, add the corydoras. 

One reason for adding corydoras last is because I already have 3 glo tetras and 1 guppy in a 10 gallon so first I will be buying 3 glo tetras and 2 guppies and will be buying the corydoras later. 

Anything to add or suggest or does this sound right?

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 3:23 PM, Cinnebuns said:

My first time doing a fishless cycle and I wanna make sure I'm doing this right. I finally finished the cycle and will be adding fish tomorrow. Eventually I will have in the tank 6 glo tetras and 3 guppies (I have plans for fry).  Later down the road I might add 6 pygmy corydoras.   

Let me know if this plan sounds right:

1.  Do a massive water change (80-90%) to get rid of the nitrate. 

2.  Add the 6 glo tetras. 

3.  After tests come back clean, about a week I think, add the guppies. 

4.  After the tests come back clean, add the corydoras. 

One reason for adding corydoras last is because I already have 3 glo tetras and 1 guppy in a 10 gallon so first I will be buying 3 glo tetras and 2 guppies and will be buying the corydoras later. 

Anything to add or suggest or does this sound right?

As long as you're not showing up Ammonia or Nitrite, you're probably Ok. If I were doing this, I'd add some FritzZyme 7 beneficial bacteria when I add fish. I'd personally also use Fritz Complete for the water change. I don't think I'd care much about doing a HUGE 80%-90% water change. A 50% is probably just fine. You're good to add fish slowly. Do not feel like you need to feed them a lot at first.

Now, the correct answer is actually as follows:

1. Add more plants.

2. Add even more plants.

3. Still add more plants.

4. Nonetheless, add some more plants.

😜

On 12/20/2021 at 2:27 PM, Fish Folk said:

Now, the correct answer is actually as follows:

1. Add more plants.

2. Add even more plants.

3. Still add more plants.

4. Nonetheless, add some more plants.

Haha. I agree with the plants thing. I am slowly doing that. I have started with marimo moss balls and am going to grab some water lettuce when I go to the LFS on Wed. Over time I will add more and more.  

Ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and I have been adding Fritz every day. I think that's why it cycled so fast for me. 

• Love 1

I think adding in the water lettuce will do a lot for you in terms of easing you through the stocking. 

What size tank is this? sounds like its bigger than a 10. Larger bodies of water do make them more forgiving as well. Depending you could do a whole lot more than 6 pygmy corys as they really do great at >10, 6 you may not see them very much. 

On 12/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

What size tank is this? sounds like its bigger than a 10

Sorry I forgot to mention tank size. That matter a lot!  It's a 29-gallon. I edited the original post to add that fact so others don't ask again lol

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I think you could do a dozen to 20 pygmy corys in a 29 g. That will be a lot of fun!

Along with the other fish?  6 glo tetras and 3 guppies to start but eventually a bit more guppies. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

in my opinion, way too much. i should add to this. if you really want to change out that much water, it would be much better to do 30% a day for 3 days. if that still doesnt get things where you want, give it a few days then do another 30%.

Edited by lefty o