Concerning LFS Advice... Updating Treatment Progress

BreeMarie

I'm wondering if I should dose again? I dosed last Friday and have been letting it sit and things were looking better but this morning there are a couple bubbles of spots of fungus that have grown on her left side.

Yesterday I could start to see on the dorsal fin being clear which I've read is the fin growing back? 

Few Hours Later* Those puffs are gone now and there looks to be a pretty deep hole where it was. I probably just need to take Cory's advice from yesterday's live and be patient. I ordered her the xtreme flakes instead of the generic flake the store sold me so I'm excited to see if she likes them.

Water Parameters still look good! Low nitrates and zero ammonia or nitrites.

IMG_20201013_094135.jpg.67f5c3f14797b9086c37fb99f37fd821.jpgIMG_20201013_094043.jpg.13ccec0ffefd4c4448baef39985c8b59.jpgIMG_20201013_094105.jpg.85989974ee76411561dc77ff6a6d7b40.jpg

A few hours later when those puffs are gone. She is still super active and eating. 

IMG_20201013_134815.jpg.f2b45274a807475b7e479b6442d59720.jpgIMG_20201013_134824.jpg.3bedec0959e26359517893d7e0e30c2c.jpgIMG_20201013_134713.jpg.f86cb9df382d047da6e7def2c09c330d.jpg

Edited by BreeMarie
  • Like 1

Fire is looking pretty good. Considering dosing ichX and maracyn one more time after a water change today. It would be the third treatment. Her Dorsal fin is growing back!! Yesterday morning it was nothing but two clear little bits. Now it is all about a millimeter tall when she sits still and isn't zipping around. She is a fiend for the Xtreme Krill Flakes. 

PXL_20201018_152333796.jpg.3e6e5f8dd0bb5307cfc86adfeeacb665.jpgPXL_20201018_152807521.jpg.46980a9aec903adce68cc3611213f890.jpg

Edited by BreeMarie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This post has been a well documented lesson in what to do for a fungal infection.

Thank you so much for the steady stream of updates @BreeMarie, this is model for what I wish every post in the disease forum would be.

It is how I learn on this forum. A problem is posed and then a course of treatment is followed. Often we never hear from that original poster again.

One of my recent wild collected fish has injury in the same place that is developing a fungus. After following your experience here, I know exactly the course of medications I am going to treat the injury with.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your kind words @Daniel. I was actually nervous posting so much cause I didn't want to seem like I was pestering. But this is my first fish and I figured if I kept posting pictures if something was going really wrong someone would tell me. 

I took a guess on the second dose on Tuesday but I think it was the right call cause the fungus seemed like it was flaring up again in a couple spots. I figured since the packaging said you could dose daily with water changes after 4 days would be okay. I did water changes and dosed on the 9th and the 13th. I also only did 10 gallons dose despite my tank being a 15g (13gal of water). I'm gonna give it the rest of the day to see how the little white bits on the tip of her newly grown fin looks before I do a water change and decide on the 3rd dosing. (Unless someone says otherwise 😅)

Edited by BreeMarie

I think a third dose would be a good idea. I think it is really on the mend though and is looking good. Glad you could nurse it back to health. I try very hard to save every fish. Its so rewarding to me to bring one back from the brink and see it have long and happy life. I believe you will be very well prepared on your next fish adventure 🙂

1 hour ago, BreeMarie said:

Thank you so much for your kind words @Daniel. I was actually nervous posting so much cause I didn't want to seem like I was pestering. But this is my first fish and I figured if I kept posting pictures if something was going really wrong someone would tell me. 

I took a guess on the second dose on Tuesday but I think it was the right call cause the fungus seemed like it was flaring up again in a couple spots. I figured since the packaging said you could dose daily with water changes after 4 days would be okay. I did water changes and dosed on the 9th and the 13th. I also only did 10 gallons dose despite my tank being a 15g (13gal of water). I'm gonna give it the rest of the day to see how the little white bits on the tip of her newly grown fin looks before I do a water change and decide on the 3rd dosing. (Unless someone says otherwise 😅)

It's generally a good idea to finish a course of treatment, especially if the fish is looking better. The fungus/bacteria are more likely to become resistant and come back stronger if you use a half dose, or stop treatment at the first sign of improvement. Ever have a doctor tell you to finish the course of antibiotics, even if you feel better? It's the same thing going on in your aquarium, and actually a big issue in terms of antibiotic resistant bacteria, globally, but that's a different topic. 

You should refer to the directions on the meds, but I believe maracyn calls for 4 doses total? (Don't quote me on that, read the instructions on the meds). If you've given dose 2 and are considering dose 3, it'd advise you run through all 4 doses as instructed on the package at full strength. 

10 minutes ago, BreeMarie said:

@Jessica.That is good to know. I was doing the method Cory recommended to dose and let it sit for a week. 

Is it okay that I didn't go back to back daily with the maracyn already?

Ah, okay, I missed that in my last reply. I though you were only dosing per the package instructions, and considering stopping mid way through treatement. I haven't used meds in that way, so I have comment on what your next move should be beside that I'm sure if Cory recommended it, it is a good treatment plan. If you're working on using a plan he recommended then never-mind me. 

Edited by Jessica.
  • Like 1

• Administrators

You can do different strategies for meds, the one thing I'll say is, if you have a method that is working, I wouldn't switch. Also if you have a method that isn't working after say 3-5 days, I would switch. I'd probably do another treatment and let it sit as the gourami seems to be recovering pretty well. 

That definitely makes sense @Jessica.! I went that way, one, because of Cory's advice but also because it made the most sense to me personally since this poor fish was already having the roughest go of it and I've heard that the treatment isn't the easiest thing on their little bodies. And per this post thanks to you and others I'm feeling encouraged to follow my gut a little more than before all of this.

Thank you @Cory! That is exactly what I'll do. I appreciate the 3-5 day method guidance. That makes a lot of sense and helps me on knowing how to make a decision moving forward for sure! 

• Like 3